How long does it take to fix over carb keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiako

Reaction score
So I just shake the keg and let out out. When do I hook the c02 back up and how long does it take?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, don't use the shaking method.

I'm so sick of people suggesting that new keggers shake their kegs. It's a horrible habit and doesn't get you a better beer anyways.

You risk overcarbing your keg, then you'll have to let it warm up, release the pressure, and start all over. Concidering a "set it and forget it method" will only take you 5-7 days to get a drinkable beer...I don't see the point in rushing it. Besides, regardless of the method, you're beer won't hit it's peak (IMHO) until around 3 weeks on gas.

As for your CO2...you should always have it hooked it, even when you're not pouring. If you don't keep constant pressure on the keg, it will go flat. I typically let me kegs get cold, then I adjust my PSI for whatever temp the beer is (usually PSI is between 12-15). I let the keg pressurize for 30 seconds, then I release pressure. I do this 2-3 times and then forget about it for a week. After 5-7 days, you should have a carbonated beer. Carbonated...not balanced.

What I mean is that I over carb my keg by shaking it and kegging it. How do I fix it?

He means he has already overcarbed it and wants to shake the CO2 out of suspension.

1. You disconnect from gas. Shake keg, release pressure, shake keg, release pressure... Connect gas at serving psi. Give it a few minutes and check the beer.

If it is still overcarbed then repeat step 1. If you have degassed it too much then set it on serving psi and forget it until it carbs up correctly.

Latest posts

Back