How long do they last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpb3

Reaction score
I'm new at this, bottled my first batch today (woo-hoo!). Anyhoo, I have a question. Now, this is not to say that I will have any problems drinking my brew and sharing it with friends, but I have already ordered a new recipe and can already for see a fridge full of beer, swapping one taste of another. The question is---after a beer has been bottled--and you wait the appropriate amount of time for carbonation to set in, does it last as long as a commercial beer would in the fridge? Does it go bad after a few weeks, or is it safe--a few months after it's been brewed. Sorry to be so long winded.

I wouldn't worry about the beer going bad, in fact in almost all cases it will get better.

You would be hard pressed to not drink the beer before it gets worse.

Some styles of beer should be drank more fresh like Hefes while other styles are best after several months in the bottle.

david_42 said:
Kept refrigerated, 8 months to 10 years. Depends on the style.

And on sanitation. Have a few bugs in there and you might not notice at 4 weeks, or at 2 months, but later on they might catch up.

my experience says the longer the better. I have brewed a wide variety from light to dark and they all seem to be better by the last bottle. I have brewed some light ale kits that stated that the batch should be consumed within a few weeks to a month, but even that one was still good after three months. My problem is not being able to keep a good long supply going because once the friends clue into the goodness 5 gallons goes way to fast.

Damn, I'm excited enough to taste my first batch--I doubt I'll have to worry about this at all. Appreciate the help and advice, though. And by the way, there's a famous (infamous?) mental hospital in my town, so I believe I'll call it Straightjacket Ale. Nice.

I still have some beers that I drink from time to time that I made about 3 or 4 years ago. They were just kits made with white sugar (before I knew better!) and I drink them when I run out of GOOD homebrew :)

so 4 years is okay. Stronger beers should last even longer. I have some beers cellared in Scotland that I bought before I left, some 10% and I will drink them when I go back to visit.

I am of the opinion that good beer is best served fresh. That said, I have tasted some of my homebrew at 2yrs that was perfectly drinkable. Wheats in particular I think need to be consumed in a few months of maturity. YMMV.

Latest posts

Back