How long did your first batch last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chudz

Reaction score
Whether your first batch happened several weeks or a few decades ago, how long did it last after it was bottled/kegged?

Mine, for instance, even though I had read about standard bottle conditioning times, was mostly gone within the first two weeks and completely gone by two and a half. It just had that Christmasy, let's hurry up and open it feeling. :D

Thankfully, though, I'm proving more patient with the second batch.

So how about you, were you patient or were you a happy, new-brewing fiend?

My first batch was brewed in June and I still have a few bottles left (they'll be consumed with family & friends over the holidays). The best part of that is, the beer had a slightly off taste in the beginning but now it tastes great - I'm proud to share it!

I admit I supplement with a lot of local craft brews - we have tons down here :mug:

Not long at all. My 4th batch a RIS has lasted me the longest. I have 2 bottles left and I'm saving them until my bro comes home from KY for the Christmas holiday. Its also my best out of the 9 brews I have done.

My first batch has lasted 8 months, but only because it only now is actually carbonated. Sadly, most of the batch went to checking if it was carbonated yet. It also just doesn't taste that good.

My first batch lasted a couple of weeks after bottle conditioning. The second one, for the most part, lasted a little longer, but I did have a few bottles lingering around until a week or two ago. Third batch I'm not fond of, so I still have half of it. :D

My second batch was brewed in mid August, it was gone by end of September with the exception of two 22 oz bottles which I set aside. I cracked one of those last night and it was so good that I want to cry knowing I sucked down all of his brothers way before their time. It was my first batch with specialty grains, etc. and I thought it was pretty damn good at the time. Lesson learned, not that I didnt enjoy drinking them at the time though

I made the mistake of cracking open my first beer 6 days after bottling. I managed to have some restraint for the next few days, but by 2 weeks they were half gone. By 3 weeks I only had a 6 pack, and now (about 1 month later) I only have 2 bottles left.

Tasting the difference in a beer at 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, and 5 weeks in the bottle was all I needed to learn why it is that we wait. My IPA (brew #2) was in the primary for twice as long, and by the 3 week mark in the bottle I had only drank a couple. Of course if I hadn't been traveling for work for a week, and sick with swine flu for the next week it might have been a different story.

Brewed it at Christmas... almost gone after the first party 6 weeks later... Good thing it was a "Brew" party... as I had brew online waiting for an open keg... when that dreaded... PFFFT came off the tap... at week 13. Now I have enough Kegs and storage capacity to maintain a brew line waiting for an open tap to come available.

Back