How important is the shape of a kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeysab

Reaction score
I just purchased a new kettle. It's an Update International 80 qt Aluminum stockpot. The first thing I noticed about it is how wide it is. My 30 qt Bayou Classic was real tall and narrow. Now obviously an 80 qt pot has to be bigger somewhere, but I'm wondering if it's better to be taller, or better to be wider......or if it matters at all. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

IMO, within reason, it makes little difference. Obviously, you would not want a kettle with a very large diameter where it more resembles a shallow pan than a ketttle, but I would say that something with a diameter similar to the size of the grate on your burner would be about right. I would guess that large kettles are designed with the burner size in mind, meaning that if a kettle was too wide it would take up too much horizontal space. OTOH, if it was too tall, it would be difficult to access for stirring or visual inspection. Most kettles are used on some type of stove which would be higher than our typical propane burners at only a foot or so off the floor. The turkey fryer kettles are designed to accommodate a turkey while minimizing the amount of oil required, so they tend to be tall and narrower than a typical stock pot. If you were reducing maple sap, you would want wide shallow pans, but if you are making a stew, there would be no advantage to a shallow kettle that I can see.

Some discussion is always around regarding hop utilization and kettle size/shape. I discount all of that and just brew & enjoy. It's a similar exercise to the fermenter shape issues.

Just brew and have fun.

Some discussion is always around regarding hop utilization and kettle size/shape. I discount all of that and just brew & enjoy. It's a similar exercise to the fermenter shape issues.

That's it!

Back