How feasible is it to start AG with no prior brewing experience?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanta

Reaction score
I was wondering if there were really strong reasons for not starting out with AG. I have loved beer for quite some time, and really got into trying to sample as many different styles from different breweries as I could. I haven't really had a style that I didn't like, although I prefer some more than others. I think the next step is to start making beer myself and once I get the hang of it, going all mad scientist and finding out what else I like. I enjoy complex processes, and I have seen others say that they wish that they had started AG from the beginning.

I understand that AG can take a serious cash commitment, especially with the prices of some of those big SS brew kettles in addition to the time spent to make the things like a mash tun, but that kind of tinkering sounds fun anyways.

Of course, enthusiasm aside, I do understand that the collective experience of you frequent posters is nothing to be ignored, which is why I am writing this post in the first place. I would like to ensure that I am taking on a task that is within the capabilities for an average person, provided I spend the time to continue learning all I can here and in books (I have an ebook version of The Complete Joy of Home Brewing, and I plan on visiting a brick and mortar bookstore next week to get the most recent revision of How To Brew and anything else that catches my eye), and I am willing to build, buy, or modify everything to suit my needs to convert my garage into a home brewing man-cave.

Thanks for your time, I look forward to sharing the results of my future brewing projects

There are many that start out immediately with All Grain. You CAN do it, but it is also a good idea to brew an extract kit or two first to get a feel for sanitation, proper yeast rate pitching, and temperature controlled fermentation. I only did 4 Mr Beer kits (which I wouldn't call brewing since you don't even really boil) before jumping into All Grain. I always suggest people join a brew club and sit in on an AG brew day before attempting one as it clears up many questions on the process.

I did it and had no problem. The key I believe is to do a lot of reading on these forums and really have the process down in your head. Write everything down, have all your equipment setup and hops laid out and take your time on brewday. Don't just wing it...read about every step and go into it prepared and Id be willing to bet you'll make a great beer.

My biggest piece of advice would be to pay the absolute most attention to your fermentation temperatures. I've found out of control fermentation temps kill your homebrew quicker than anything else. Ya got to keep those yeasties happy.

Its also really not that expensive. You don't have to go all out. Search Craigslist, they have entire setups on there all the time for a steal. Its as expensive a hobby as you want to make it. You can make absolutely stellar beer with incredibly simple equipment.

Good luck man!

I would suggest not starting out with AG from the bat. No matter how much you read it will not even touch what hands on experience can do. I would first skip all extract and start at mini mash brewing. Get a 5 gallon and an 8 gallon brew tanks, nothing too expensive. Then when you get the hang of it then get a 10 gallon cooler MLT system which you can make for under 200. My first suggestion before doing the investment in AG is to either build from scratch and buy a fermentation chamber. When I say buy one I mean do it the way I did. Get a ranco temp controller on amazon with the female power cord included and go to lowes for a cheaper chest freezer. I found a chest freezer on lowes that was 250 with tax and free/fast delivery. It is even big enough to fit two carboys. I would do that first cause fermenting at room temps is a drag especially in the summer. Start reading and get some hands on with mini mash then move to AG when you have about 5-6 batches under your belt.

Brew In A Bag (BIAB). Like I said in that other thread referenced above, totally cheap and easy.

Do smaller batches, and you won't need to make that big of an investment. Mashing in a stockpot, for example. And boiling in one too. Very little specialized equipment.

Others will tell you to make big batches. They are also correct. :)

Follow your heart! I'm here to tell you, going AG from the get-go is both possible and enjoyable. On the cheap, no less.

I never had a good experience with BIAB method, that was the only time I EVER poured a batch down the drain. When that happened is when I made the investment and went to an MLT system and I am very glad I did.

We live in a time where if you want to learn how to do or make ANYTHING you can go online, on YouTube and there are thousands and thousands of videos with step by step how tos.
..it is absolutely feasible to start all grain right off the bat. Of course you're not gonna be a pro your first batch but don't let anyone scare you away from all grain. It really is a pretty simple process. If you can do extract you can do all grain. Not that there's anything wrong with starting with extract but yeah if you want to know if its feasible the answer in my mind is absolutely yes.

I started with all grain, it was easy, and I haven't had any issues so far. I did a lot of reading before hand, and watched a few youtube videos. I'm drinking my first brew right now (an IPA), and it turned out great, and my friends are all really excited because they now think they'll get free unlimited beer!

I say go for it, and if you run into trouble, consult the good ol' internet.

I have never done all-grain but I don't see how it would be hard to do. The only problem I see is more variables if things go wrong. Temperature is everything throughout the whole brewing process. Mash, ferment, serve, get your temp right on each of those steps and it will turn out good.

Temperature control is the secret ingredient.

This. Also, proper pitching rates and yeast management.

A lot of brewers get consumed with all the techniques that go into making the wort, but temp control and proper yeast handling are probably just as important, if not more. The only thing I would put higher is sanitation.

I did it. As many have said just really read up on every step of the process so you know what and why your doing what your doing. Make sure you have all the equipment to brew AG before hand and a place you can control your fermentors temperature. As well as the stuff you need to bottle/keg once its done. Best of luck :mug:

Sounds like you should be doing AG.

I probably should. I would only need a good thermometer and MLT. I am happy with the results I am getting from extract so far and don't want to spend the extra time. The biggest reason though is probably space. I don't even have room to brew at home. I brew at the neighbor's. He provides a little space ans I provide the "brains" thanks to this forum. I kind of want to but would prefer to wait until I can do it at home where I would feel comfortable taking my time.

If I were to start out brewing again, I would probably start by doing all-grain full-volume BIAB with a 10 gallon kettle on an outdoor burner. Since it's summer time, I would also probably build a fermentation chamber prior to my first brew.

A lot of people seem to think that all-grain brewing is the secret to brewing good beer, but it isn't. As I'm sure you're aware, AG brewing gives you more variables you can control. But, if you don't understand them, that control isn't necessarily going to lead to better beer. Quite the opposite, it will lead to worse beer.

I have a good friend that has been brewing beer for a couple of years. Really bright guy. I called him up a few months ago and talked brewing for a bit. When I told him that I was building a fermentation chamber to use this summer, he didn't understand why. He had no idea that temperature affected the flavor profile of his beer. He also didn't know what a starter was or why you would need one. Most of my friends that brew do not make starters, but they used to look down their noses at me because I didn't have a cooler and a trio of kegs as a brew setup.

They still hassle me because I don't sparge, even though my efficiency is in the low 70s for most 1.070 beers and my beer tastes better than theirs does.

Just do it, there is nothing to it. I suggest BIAB, because all you need is a six dollar bag. I think I brewed three extract beers, before I switched to all grain. I have a cooler with a braid which works very well, but recently tried BIAB, and am really sold on the simplicity and ease of the method.

Just do it, there is nothing to it. I suggest BIAB, because all you need is a six dollar bag. I think I brewed three extract beers, before I switched to all grain. I have a cooler with a braid which works very well, but recently tried BIAB, and am really sold on the simplicity and ease of the method.

Yeah, I'm with you on the ease and simplicity of BIAB. I have a big bag that fills my 10 gallon kettle and I can handle full 5 gallon batches up to moderately high gravity. I'm brewing Yoopers DFH 60 Minute IPA tonight as a full-volume, no-spare, 5 gallon batch - BIAB is definitely the way I would recommend a new brewer to start, if they don't want to start with extract.

For big beers like imperial stouts or barleywines, BIAB can get more involved, so sparging and a mash tun would probably be better, but for smaller beers, BIAB is where it's at.

I don't see a problem with starting g out brewing AG. Just do your homework first. Read Palmer and/or Papazian. Both are great beginner books. By the time you get through them you will be more than prepared and will be even more enthusiastic about brewing! Just remember that you are starting a lifelong process. Don't rush it and above all, have FUN with it!

What is the advantage to BIAB? Just being able to remove the spent grain without having have a separate MLT and not having to have a sparge step? I'm willing to make a MLT out of a camping cooler like I've seen in the Youtube videos (I think Walmart was having a sale on coolers last time I was there, they had some big 70 quart coolers for just under 40 bucks), that part looks kind of fun/relaxing (the mashing and sparging)

What is the advantage to BIAB? Just being able to remove the spent grain without having have a separate MLT and not having to have a sparge step? I'm willing to make a MLT out of a camping cooler like I've seen in the Youtube videos (I think Walmart was having a sale on coolers last time I was there, they had some big 70 quart coolers for just under 40 bucks), that part looks kind of fun/relaxing (the mashing and sparging)

For people that can't brew outside, it's an easy way to make smaller batches on a stovetop. It can also be a lot faster. There are limitations though, but it can be a great and inexpensive way for new brewers to get some experience with AG before buying two massive kettles and a mash tun.

Brewing TV did a great episode on small batch, no-sparge BIAB:

http://www.brewingtv.com/episodes/2012/3/2/brewing-tv-episode-54-jakes-got-a-brand-new-bag.html

It's well worth watching.

I started out doing all grain, first time i was a little nervous but everything worked out and the beer came out really well. I already had a cooler but if i didnt an igloo cube is less than $30 and a good size, and the hardware was less than $20, and i bought a turkey fryer with an Almunium pot (which i still use) for $50, and the begging brewers kit was 75, so you could easily start out for under $200. Use your cooler/mash tun as a swamp cooler during fermentation to save even more money. If you read up on the process and maybe watch a few videos you will be fine.

My first brew was all-grain from a Brooklyn Brewery kit I picked up on whim at Whole Foods for about $40. The kit included everything (grain, hops, yeast, 1 gallon carboy, airlock, tubing) EXCEPT priming sugar, bottles, caps and bottle capper. I got caps and a capper on Amazon for under $15 and the bottles I had (of course). The kit only made one gallon, but the instructions were so thorough that I understood the process enough to know whether I wanted to move up to 5 gallons (and I did of course). For my second brew I used an old turkey fryer I had on hand for the boil and bought a $19 Igloo cooler from Walmart for a mash tun. Warning: home brewing is addictive. At least it's an addiction my husband approves of :)

I have loved beer for quite some time

I'm with ya there pal.

But I would say do an extract and then maybe a BIAB before you go AG.

I say that because you can scale up your equipment in small logical steps and gain experience as you do.

And get a hydrometer,you can't really call yourself a brewer unless
you've broken at least one hydrometer:mad:

I just started brewing a month ago. I think it would go alot better if you and I had an experienced brewing buddy. Reading about it, watching it on youtube is one thing. Doing is another. Just do an extract first brew. I mean you can do whatever you want but having just been there, I recommend extract first brew. Just to get one in the win column.

And get a hydrometer,you can't really call yourself a brewer unless
you've broken at least one hydrometer:mad:
Really? I guess I will have to break one then.

I just started brewing a month ago. I think it would go alot better if you and I had an experienced brewing buddy. Reading about it, watching it on youtube is one thing. Doing is another. Just do an extract first brew. I mean you can do whatever you want but having just been there, I recommend extract first brew. Just to get one in the win column.

I agree it is very helpful to get hands on experience but you can get that experience on your own. I wish I had an experienced brewer to hold my hand but things turned out ok.

There really is only one hard rule to brewing. Take good notes.

Back