How do you guys add campden tablets and pectic enzyme to the fruit that you add in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedrunkdutchman

Reaction score
I usually just combine everything in primary, but I wanted to give adding in secondary a try. But how do you guys add the campden tablets and pectic enzyme? I thought about making a puree with the fruit and mixing the powdered tablet and enzyme into it. Would that work?

i don’t. alcohol levels are generally high enough in secondary for me to not worry about campden, and i rarely use pectic enzyme. by secondary, i’m usually not eager to sludge up a brew except where really appropriate (pawpaws), so i wouldn’t personally be adding a puree at that point.

but your plan would probably work if that’s the way you wanted to go.

If I'm adding whole fruit to secondary, I treat the fruit with campden, wait 24 hours, bag it (either zip lock or vac seal) and then do my freeze thaw cycles (usually at least 2). Prior to adding the fruit. That way the fruit is sanitized and ready to go. Also if I'm adding whole fruit, I have started using brew bags so that I can putt it at the appropriate time.

I prefer to add juiced fruit to secondary, so I don't have to worry about pulling a bunch of stuff out.

Pectic enzyme can be added with the fruit, and can help cut down on the haze effects of pectin.

One thing to consider when adding stuff in secondary, is to watch your oxidation.

I only use frozen fruit in secondary. I usually add a cup or so of honey with it so there’s a little more fermentation activity. I’m not sure why but I’ve always done it that way. I don’t worry about campden tabs when using frozen fruit.

Campden on fruit for 24-36 hours and let gas off. It can stifle fermentation so be careful there. Enzymes will break it down so likely you'll end up with a tertiary fermentation to clear it up because of the activity in secondary. Sounds a bit prolonging of the process but rock N roll! No wrong way to do it.

Cheers
Jay

Back