How Do I Add Coriander & Orange Peels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinBeerber

Reaction score
I'll be brewing a witbier from an extract kit I ordered from northern brewer, and I ordered the coriander & orange peel products suggested with the kit for more flavor. The product description says add the last 10 min of boiling the wort, but how do I add it? In a bag, or just throw it in? It said the coriander had to be crushed. What's the best method for a beginner?

Thanks

Just throw it in.

For the coriander, I use a mortar and pestle. You could also use a spice grinder (you don't want it too fine), or even a couple paper towels and a mallet.

I have made a few batches with coriander. The first one I bought a mortar and pestle. Since I had no idea what I was doing so I bought a set on eBay for $5. Turns out it was about 2 inches in diameter and the pestle was the size of a sharpie. OMG after grinding a half an ounce I gave up and started using a hammer. In something that small I could only do 5 or 6 seeds at once.

If you are going to be making this type of recipe on a regular basis, get a decent size mortar & pestle. My new one is about 5 inches wide and heavy as hell, but I can grind a couple ounces in a few minutes. It was only 15 dollars.
NewMortor.jpg

You can roll the little coriander seeds under a rolling pin. You can put them in a plastic bag and hit them with a wooden mallet. As others have suggested a mortar and pestle or coffee/spice grinder works. However you get to the finished product of a few ounces of cracked seeds is a good method.

The orange peel can go directly into the boil exactly the same way you add late addition hops.

I use a mortar and pestle for the Coriander seed. I usually add the crushed seed and orange peel in a hop bag with the flavor hops.

I do this often with my Saison. Crushed Coriander, Ginger, Bitter Orange Peel and Cardamom.

If you have a coffee grinder that should powder it pretty well too, and is easy to wash. Or even a magic bullet blender thing.

I put the corriander in a plastic bag, then use a rolling pin to crush. I make sure the seeds are open or broken in half, no need to powderise them!

I put the corriander in a plastic bag, then use a rolling pin to crush. I make sure the seeds are open or broken in half, no need to powderise them!

So like whatever is in the mix is in the mix? There ain't no like separating this stuff from that stuff? Just roll n chuck?

So like whatever is in the mix is in the mix? There ain't no like separating this stuff from that stuff? Just roll n chuck?

Yep. I add the orange peel and cracked (not powdered) corriander to a hop bag and drop in for the last 10 min of the boil. Simple as!

find your local Indian grocery store and buy it already crushed. I bought 7 oz. crushed coriander for $1.99. for other seeds I use an old coffee grinder, as said before fast and easy to clean.

You definitely don't have to. I never have when I've used it, and some gets into the fermenter, but it's fine.

So I used the herb grinder:
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406490973.557995.jpg

Ground it up like so:
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406491083.389746.jpg

And the final product:
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406491149.764772.jpg
2ozs of high grade coriander

Is that how it's supposed to look?

Give those "high grade" coriander seeds a little bit of a toast in a heavy skillet, preferably before you grind them. A few shades darker than the raw bunch. It really adds a ton of flavor that way. You don't want them as dark as in cooking an Indian stew, though.

You probably got those 1/4" chunks of dried orange peel. They benefit from a good grind too, or you won't get as much out of them by just tossing them in the last 10 minutes. Alternatively, you can soak them for a day in a half cup of warm water in a warm area.

Soak your Irish moss too right before you start brewing.

find your local Indian grocery store and buy it already crushed. I bought 7 oz. crushed coriander for $1.99. for other seeds I use an old coffee grinder, as said before fast and easy to clean.

Noooo! Never buy ground spices. They lose their flavor and aroma faster than whole spices.

+10 on the Indian store though, I always buy my spices and Indian cooking stuff there :)
Has anyone tried a curry beer yet?

Give those "high grade" coriander seeds a little bit of a toast in a heavy skillet, preferably before you grind them. A few shades darker than the raw bunch. It really adds a ton of flavor that way. You don't want them as dark as in cooking an Indian stew, though.

You probably got those 1/4" chunks of dried orange peel. They benefit from a good grind too, or you won't get as much out of them by just tossing them in the last 10 minutes. Alternatively, you can soak them for a day in a half cup of warm water in a warm area.

Soak your Irish moss too right before you start brewing.

Well, I already threw it all in, including those 1/4" orange peels, but next time I'll toast the coriander and grind the peels.
I assume I strain that stuff out when I mix wort & cool water, before pitching yeast?

Not much to add on the corriander front, seems like everyone's given you good advice there, but wanted to give you an idea to think about on the orange peel front next time.

Use fresh zest in the very end of the boil. Just zest a buttload of different citrus fruits, lemons, oranges, grapefruits, any other citrus you can get, and toss that in with a few minutes left in the boil, or at flameout and let it steep for a while. I found that gave a much more "citrus" flavor than the dried stuff. Ontop of that i've also added the dried sweet orange peel like a dry hop for the last week before bottling directly to the fermenter. The batch of wit i did with fresh zest at flameout and the dry peel as a "dryhop" i got the most complete orange flavor in the finished beer. I found the orange in the boil lost some of that great flavor that was scrubbed out during fermentation. Just some ideas to think about in the future.

I'm guessing you're doing La Petite Orange from NB. It was a fun kit for me to do months ago. I put my orange peel in a hop bag, I believe with my crushed corriander seed, which I crushed using a coffee grinder. I don't know if putting the crushed seed (very fine after going in a coffee grinder) made any difference, but that's how I did it. I went 2 weeks primary and 3 with secondary. Give it at least 3 weeks in the bottle and your patience will pay off. It was a very fun and enjoyable brew to do.

Not much to add on the corriander front, seems like everyone's given you good advice there, but wanted to give you an idea to think about on the orange peel front next time.

Use fresh zest in the very end of the boil. Just zest a buttload of different citrus fruits, lemons, oranges, grapefruits, any other citrus you can get, and toss that in with a few minutes left in the boil, or at flameout and let it steep for a while. I found that gave a much more "citrus" flavor than the dried stuff. Ontop of that i've also added the dried sweet orange peel like a dry hop for the last week before bottling directly to the fermenter. The batch of wit i did with fresh zest at flameout and the dry peel as a "dryhop" i got the most complete orange flavor in the finished beer. I found the orange in the boil lost some of that great flavor that was scrubbed out during fermentation. Just some ideas to think about in the future.

What is fresh zest?

I'm guessing you're doing La Petite Orange from NB. It was a fun kit for me to do months ago. I put my orange peel in a hop bag, I believe with my crushed corriander seed, which I crushed using a coffee grinder. I don't know if putting the crushed seed (very fine after going in a coffee grinder) made any difference, but that's how I did it. I went 2 weeks primary and 3 with secondary. Give it at least 3 weeks in the bottle and your patience will pay off. It was a very fun and enjoyable brew to do.

Nah brah', I'm doing a Belgium wheat. Orangier the better; I'm looking for a tangerine (lost coast brewing) type flava'.

Latest posts

Back