How common are bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatBaldBeerGuy

Reaction score
I just bottled my first batch, an american wheat kit from NB, and I wanted to store it in a closet by our water heater. This area is under the stairs and out of the way; and stays room temp or slightly warmer so it should be good for the carbonating fermentation.

However, it is also our coat closet... So I don't want to end up with a bottle bomb and have my kids going to school smelling like beer... :drunk:

Long neck glass bottles, checked each one and the caps are nice and tight (my daughter capped them so I went behind to be sure they were tight enough) and 5/8 cup of sugar in 16 oz of water to prime, as the directions called for.

This is my first brew and my first bottling, so I'm just wondering if I should move them or if they are safe?

:mug:

what was your final gravity? was it stable at that gravity for a few days?...if so your going to be just fine..as long as the beer was completely done fermenting.That sounds like the right amount of priming sugar, I wouldnt worry.

Ive done just over 50 batches and have had 2 times where I had bottle bombs...and it was completely my fault and not making the right measurements on priming sugar.

Sorry; still a complete noob so forgot to post that.

FG was 1.012 and it was perfectly stable since Thursday.

Now that I'm thinking about it, what's the calculation for ABV? My OG was 1.044. :mug:

Thanks!

Bottle bombs are usually due to F ups. Unfinished beer is a common reason.

OK cool; so with my steady FG (Thursday-Saturday) my beer should be finished and safe, right?

I tried it prior to bottling as well (after testing the FG) and it was pretty tasty even un carb'd. I think it should turn out pretty well for my first attempt. :D

I assume you mean Thurs, Fri, and Sat SG tests. If so then yes. Although, you do need to be near the target FG.

Yes, Thursday, Friday and Saturday no change in FG. It was a steady 1.012 all 3 days. I did not have a target FG as none was provided with the kit; though through research I was pretty sure 1.010-1.015 would be about correct.

Is there a way to find or determine the FG for a given brew? Sorry; noob question I'm sure.

Yes, Thursday, Friday and Saturday no change in FG. It was a steady 1.012 all 3 days. I did not have a target FG as none was provided with the kit; though through research I was pretty sure 1.010-1.015 would be about correct.

Is there a way to find or determine the FG for a given brew? Sorry; noob question I'm sure.

Plug the ingredients in a calculator like this:

TastyBrew.com | Recipe Calculation

How long has it been since you brewed it? If you leave batches long enough in the fermenters, they should be fine. As others have stated, those in a hurry tend to have more bottle bombs than others.
And if you're worried about BBomb's, maybe set your beer somewhere that is cooler.

Plug the ingredients in a calculator like this:

TastyBrew.com | Recipe Calculation

That's perfect, thanks man!

How long has it been since you brewed it? If you leave batches long enough in the fermenters, they should be fine. As others have stated, those in a hurry tend to have more bottle bombs than others.
And if you're worried about BBomb's, maybe set your beer somewhere that is cooler.

It was in the primary for a full 2 weeks, with no changes to the specific gravity for the last 3 days.

I've had two bottle bombs. One was due to WLP099 and it appearing to be finished when it's not actually finished. The other was a tripel and a bottle defect. So two bottles in two years with many batches isn't too bad.

After 100 gallons in my first year and no bottle bombs, I'd say they're pretty rare if you give your beers plenty of time in the primary. I usually let mine sit about a month or more. Longer than necessary? Probably. Too long to do any harm? Nope.

"It was in the primary for a full 2 weeks, with no changes to the specific gravity for the last 3 days."

The most important thing I come to understand from reading stuff on this forum is Time takes care of all things. Letting things sit a while longer appears from all these posts on beer, to help rather than hurt 99.9% of the time.

I usually give at a minimum 4 weeks in fermentation. 3-4 weeks in the bottle. While I know you want to drink "your" beer, maybe hit Costco and drink your next case of empties while you let your beer improve?

Time heals all beers....

Back