How can I convert this fridge for use in temp-controlled fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surista

Reaction score
So I have a nice sort of problem to have, in that I now have a refrigerator I can use for temperature controlled fermenting and/or as a kegerator.

Backstory: We recently moved house. Our new kitchen has (two) built-in refrigerators, so the refrigerator we were previously using has been banished to the garage. Which I am now converted to my in-house brewery :ban:

The refrigerator in question is a side-by-side fridge freezer - essentially the same as this one:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3563661.htm

The fridge is on the right side, and is more than big enough to fit a 5kg carboy or two or 3-4 corny kegs. Unfortunately the temperature adjustment is only from +2 to +8 °C, or roughly 35.6 - 46 °F, obviously a bit too low to use for temperature controlled fermenting.

Is there a way to achieve temperature control in the 22 °C range when needed without drilling holes etc in the refrigerator? Since my wife wants to continue using the freezer side, I need some solution that doesn't depend on turning power to the entire unit on / off.

So I have a nice sort of problem to have, in that I now have a refrigerator I can use for temperature controlled fermenting and/or as a kegerator.

Backstory: We recently moved house. Our new kitchen has (two) built-in refrigerators, so the refrigerator we were previously using has been banished to the garage. Which I am now converted to my in-house brewery :ban:

The refrigerator in question is a side-by-side fridge freezer - essentially the same as this one:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3563661.htm

The fridge is on the right side, and is more than big enough to fit a 5kg carboy or two or 3-4 corny kegs. Unfortunately the temperature adjustment is only from +2 to +8 °C, or roughly 35.6 - 46 °F, obviously a bit too low to use for temperature controlled fermenting.

Is there a way to achieve temperature control in the 22 °C range when needed without drilling holes etc in the refrigerator? Since my wife wants to continue using the freezer side, I need some solution that doesn't depend on turning power to the entire unit on / off.

Yes. Simply plug the fridge into an external controller and use the fermenting beer as a thermostat setting the fridge to it's coldest setting and the thermal probe measuring the beer temperature. Now you can select the beer temp you want. The device will control it to within a small range (less than 1C) at that set point. (22C is very warm BTW)

The DIY STC1000 is simple

The off the shelf Inkbird is even simpler.

I have both. The Inkbird is a fine product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Simply plug the fridge into an external controller and use the fermenting beer as a thermostat setting the fridge to it's coldest setting and the thermal probe measuring the beer temperature. Now you can select the beer temp you want. The device will control it to within a small range (less than 1C) at that set point. (22C is very warm BTW)

The DIY STC1000 is simple

The off the shelf Inkbird is even simpler.

I have both. The Inkbird is a fine product.

This will just turn the electricity on or off depending on the temperature.

That is not what the OP wants. He wants to use the Freezer side as normal.

OP, you will first have to determine if the two sides are controlled totally separately. If there are not two totally separate thermostats you will not be able to control one side for a keezer/fermenter and still freeze in the other side.

Last edited by a moderator:
This will just turn the electricity on or off depending on the temperature.

That is not what the OP wants. He wants to use the Freezer side as normal.

OP, you will first have to determine if the two sides are controlled totally separately. If there are not two totally separate thermostats you will not be able to control one side for a keezer/fermenter and still freeze in the other side.

I'm pretty sure the unit does have two separate temperature controls, since we can separately set the temperature for each (freezer compartment temperature can be adjusted from -14 °C to -22 °C, fridge compartment from +2 to +8 °C.)

You'll have to look up or find the wiring diagram for the fridge. The majority of these side by sides seem to use a single condenser that is placed on the freezer side and fans to move cold air into the fridge side as required. You'll likely need a temp switch like the STC1000 and a power converter and hijack the wires that control the fans.

Me personally.... I'd tell the wife that she has two fridges in the kitchen the garage one is mine. If she needs more freezer space for some reason get another freezer. Then again I'm not married anymore :fro:

Back