How about this burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurds_2408

Reaction score
So I'm looking to get a turkey set up to move to the garage. Just done a few extracts on the stove and I'm planning on stepping up to full boil and all grain BIAB at the same time. Just wondering thoughts on the burner. I gotta stick to home depot cause I have a gift card for there and that's the only way to get SWMBO on board. :D Seems like to avoid the stupid timer thing, get enough BTUs, and really get the most for my money I gotta buy burner and pot separately. And I'll prolly use it for turkeys as well. Thanks in advance.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bayou-Cl...r-with-High-Pressure-Regulator-SP-1/100164633

It gets good reviews on the HD website. I have the SP10 and feel no need to spend more. The SP10 has a wind guard and cost about $10 more. I saw a published rating of 55k btu on the SP10. If you brew in a windy place you may want a wind guard.

Could you tell me why it's a pos? Its the same brand many people use, has more BTUs, and is cheaper. Def want your opinion cause I wanna buy the right thing just wondering why?

It's a single barrel jet burner, made as cheaply as possible, has no wind screen, doesn't regulate well, and is loud enough to wake the dead. Sure, at wide open throttle it will produce heat (and piss off your neighbors) - but once you get to a boil you don't run a burner at WOT. When you try to get it dialed down to a gentle boil it's difficult if not impossible to get a clean burn - hence the comments in the Home Depot about pot blackening.

A Bayou Classic SP10 would be the better choice in that price range...

Cheers!

It's a single barrel jet burner, made as cheaply as possible, has no wind screen, doesn't regulate well, and is loud enough to wake the dead. Sure, at wide open throttle it will produce heat (and piss off your neighbors) - but once you get to a boil you don't run a burner at WOT. When you try to get it dialed down to a gentle boil it's difficult if not impossible to get a clean burn - hence the comments in the Home Depot about pot blackening.

A Bayou Classic SP10 would be the better choice in that price range...

Cheers!

Agree, I have the sp10,as well.

Great thanks. I didn't know those kinds of things. That's why I love this site. I'll be ordering an sp10 then.

Slightly different experience with mine.

I have a Bayou JET burner and it is LOUD. But once I have my wort to a full boil and hopped I put in a few drops of fermcap lower the gas to where it is a nice rolling boil and go do something else. I use the valve on the regulator for this and always get a clean flame. No real problem in the wind, as I put a layer of foil around the legs at the base.

The only blackening I ever got was when breaking it in and burning off the crappy paint. I don't stand around it during the boil but do check it once in a while. I am lucky in that my neighbors are don't seem to mind or maybe don't hear it. It's less noisy than cutting my lawn for an hour and I do that once a week.

I have it for a couple of years now and I only make about 8 brews a year so for me it worked out great. But it gets about 8 gallons of water to a boil in a short time when wide open.

OMO

bosco

Back