how about a meme generator thread...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok then, 16° of dirt here. "Blackjack Gum" doesn't ring a bell...

View attachment 744729
If you're really old, you'll just complain about the poor attention to detail in that list:
1. The first quotation mark is wrong.
2. For consistence, the "in" in "Drive in" should have a capital I. This ignores the actual improper capitalization.
3. Why does 10 rank in both 6 to 10 and 10 to 17, but 6 doesn't rank in both 1 to 5 and 6 to 10?
4. Why are these young punks such slackers? They probably got rides to school instead of walking, up hill, both coming and going, and in the snow because school wasn't called off just because it snowed. I'd rant on, but i need a nap.

Last edited:
If the criteria is knowing exactly what they are without looking it up and having experienced it, then I think I can only claim 4.

Plenty of these sound really familiar, but I definitely couldn't get to 11
Spinal Tap could. :cool:

DF84D415-2E52-4C91-988E-BE3EA55DE49A.jpeg

17 for 17. I liked Black Jack gum, too, and I owned a ‘49 Studebaker pickup.
Our first family car was a '49 Studebaker bullet-nose 2 door sedan, bought the year I was born. No seat belts and no child seats. Somehow my sisters and I all survived and are drawing Social Security. And Oh, BTW: 17 for 17!.

ok, that's kinda creepy... when I was in Jr High, we had to take a sewing class, along with other classes every semester... I made a surfboard pillow! I be that was a national requirement!

I have three older sisters who all took shop (& Home Ec). The shop teacher retired after the last of my sisters took class. I had no shop option. Somewhere in my house there is a giant green and white checkerboard/plaid pillow.

I have three older sisters who all took shop (& Home Ec). The shop teacher retired after the last of my sisters took class. I had no shop option. Somewhere in my house there is a giant green and white checkerboard/plaid pillow.

That sucks you had no shop option. I had shop (welding, engine repair) and woodworking.

That sucks you had no shop option. I had shop (welding, engine repair) and woodworking.

I guess as a senior I did take something shop-adjacent. Students brought in old, small engines to fix up. Mine was particularly bad, it was rusty, had dust caked in, hadn't been run for years, and the company had been bought out making it difficult to get replacement parts at all, much less within a semester. The instructor helped me get the flywheel off (it took a welder, special tool, and a big hammer) and ignored me besides that.

We had wood shop and auto shop too. I was the only one in my group who was mechanically inclined, so when we had to teardown and reassemble a small engine, I did all of the work while the skaters and dweebies stood there staring at the floor.

Ours was the only group whose engine started up without trouble so we all received an A, and I guess I'm still a bit salty about that.

Last edited:
We had wood shop and auto shop too. I was the only one in my group who was mechanically inclined, so when we had to teardown and reassemble a small engine, I did all of the work while the skaters and dweebies stood their staring at the floor.

I wish I had someone to work with back then who knew what he was doing. We had two weeks of instruction on parts and theory before the instructor mostly stopped caring, told us to find something to bring in (not something we knew at the beginning of the semester, lucky most of us were either farm kids or had dads who didn't throw stuff away) and mostly just let us goof off. I remember leaving parts to soak in a cleaner for a week or so, making little or no progress, while I waited for gaskets, I accomplished nothing and my instructor noticed just enough that he spent two class periods alternating between heating the flywheel and pounding on the tool until it finally popped off.

My dad still claims that a professional could've had that engine working in days, and I had a semester and brought it home in pieces.

Don't get me going about Studebakers, ..anyway...

In Junior high, in Detroit area, had a couple of old WW2 era machinists for shop instructors. We had a machine shop, a wood shop, sheet metal fabricating tools and a forge. First semester (7th grade) we had machine drawing instruction, and second semester we had to do a machine drawing of whatever we intended to make. 8th grade they gave us a little more leeway, and did some work on my first Jeep there, sweating off the ring gear w oxy a torch.

The high school shop I would have had access too was amazing, big 3 auto was still going strong and they were genrous benifactors, plus hoping to build skilled labor base...alas I was sent off to a more academic environ.

My best friend's uncle was our middle school shop teacher and his father was teaching it in the high school. That made us easy targets in class, and we got away with nothing.
You would also think that having 2 such highly skilled craftsman in the family would lend itself to him becoming pretty handy, right?
Wrong, he is one of the most helpless home owners you might meet. I won't say he can't change a lightbulb, but it is quite the challenge for him at times...

When I took home EC the boys took shop… sexist 70s.
We had a 2-4 week period when we all switched. Boys to home-ec and the girls to shop. The boys were all pissed the that the girls didn't have to do a semester of Technical Drawing before they got to build something in shop.

Back