Houston Group Grain Buy #2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm working on a Dallas Group Buy, you guys down in Houston have helped out a lot!

Read over your first buy thread and this thread.

Main thing I'm wondering though, is stevebuscemi stated that they wouldn't provide pricing in the 2000-4000 lb range as stated in their price sheet.

That's not much, but if true it would affect my personal order of 5 sacks by about $8 and would def affect your organizer when your talking 42 sacks.

Also, can anyone from the prev Houston buy tell me the approx freight incurred? Our Dallas buy should have a dock, forklift and pallet jack.

Good luck on the second round, and anyone with brew friends in Dallas, tell them come on over to the Dallas Group Buy!

Tengallon said:
Sorry, My misunderstanding in that case:

1- GW-PALE, 1- GW-C60, 1- BD-MOPA(maris otter) First Pallet

1-GW-PALE, 1- GW-2ROW, Second Pallet

Thank you,
Tengallon

Thanks Tengallon, I'll update the first page tonight.

I'm still waiting for my account to be setup.

If you're on the list please send me a PM with your contact information (name, email, phone). You can also email me at my username at gmail.com if my PM inbox fills up.

My account isn't setup yet so it will be a few more days for that. I'm working on the list of bags and pallets now.

I still need contact info from the following people. If I somehow missed it I apologize.

slappy1974
javabrewer
mredge73

Also, javabrewer I'm assuming you want CM 2-Row as the type of 2-row unless you state otherwise.

Once I get all the contact info in I'll send in the order for a qoute and send out requests for payments. It doesn't look like the second pallet is going to happen. However, please post if you have interest in the future and I'll check every 6 months or so to see if we can get another order in.

Whoop!
Vallensons and I will be making Pearland smell better for Presidents Day! I'm ready. Thanks for doing this!

Very excited for this! Now to finish up my electric system so I can do something with all this wonderful grain!

I gave my old mashtun to my sister over Christmas, so I'm dead in the water til I finish the new system :(

Here's an updated list of the order. I'm still waiting for slappy1974 then I'll get the quote.

Pallet #1 (42 of 42 bags max)
---------------------------
[Full Bags]
vallensons - 5 (4 Briess 2-Row "Brewers Malt", 1 Briess Caramel Malt 60L)
barrooze - 2 (1x CM-PALE, 1x BZ-PILS)
BrewHaas - 2 (2 Briess 2-Row "Brewers Malt")
slappy1974 - 1 CM 2-row
gForcex64 - 2 ( CM 2-ROW)
Tengallon - 3 (1- GW-PALE, 1- GW-C60, 1- BD-MOPA)
MacGyver22 - 4 (2 - Canadian Malt 2 -row, 1- Bairds Marris Otter, 1 - Briess Vienna)
schaez - 2 (2 HB MO)
javabrewer - 2 (2-row type?)
luapnnaj - 10 (4 HB Marris Otter, 2 Gambrinus Pilsner, 2 Briess 2-row "brewer's malt", 2 Gambrinus Munich)
mredge73 - 1 (1x BD‐MUNH ; Munich)
kingwood-kid - 1 (CM-2ROW)
ashford: 2 (1 BZ-PILS, 1 CM-2ROW)
37 bags
[Split Bags]
Munich (1x CM-MUNH) - 2/3 javabrewer + 1/3 barroze
Crystal 40 (BD-CRSN) - 1/3 javabrewer + 1/3 luapnnaj + 1/3 ashford
HBaird's "dark crystal" 70-80 - 1/2 luapnnaj + 1/2 schaez
CM‐WHET - 1/2 barroze + 1/2 slappy1974
BD‐MOPA ; Maris Otter - 1/2 mredge73 + 1/2 kingwood-kid
5 bags

No problem. I went ahead and requested a quote. Once it's received I'll send out payment requests. I plan to handle everything through PayPal.

schaez

If it's not too late, I'd like to change my 1 bag of cm-2row to a bag of tf-mopa. If it is too late, not a problem. More importantly, how did you go through 10 bags since the last buy? I'm still on my 1.5. Maybe I need to brew more...

same here; I am only 2 batches into my stash from the last buy. You are doing some serious brewing.

I got a bad response from Country Malt when I requested an actual quote. Now they don't want to do business with me without a business name and tax id. I may have a work-around but I'm not sure. At best this will delay things and at worst it will kill the the buy with them. If it dies with the country malt we can look at the alternatives like the 3 homebrew shops around Houston or online, but the cost per pound will go up a lot.

I haven't gone through all my grain from last time, but this time I'm looking for some MO and crystal compared to the pilsner and 2-row I have around. I had bought enough for at least a year at the last bulk buy. However, I usually split batches and so far in 2012 I've made 40 gal on my system and I've kept 20 gal with another 10 gal being made on Sunday.

MacGyver22, my system is all electric when I've brewing at home. Let me know you're interested and I'll let you know the next time I'm brewing at home (Pearland). This week will be on a friend's system and next week's will be all gas at the our clubs brew-in so I probably won't make another batch with electric system until March.

Schaez,

Have you had any luck with Country Malt? Did the work around work, or are you just up to your neck with work stuff - I know what that is like.

I do have a DBA, but not a separate tax ID, don't know if that would help or not.

The electric brewery is pretty much done, just the final, final tests and we're ready to brew. Hoping to fire it up this weekend for the inaugural brew.

Thanks,
Ned

I have a registered business and tax id, but then they also wanted a check or credit card in the business name which I don't have.

That is really strange - never heard of a place that wouldn't accept a regular old visa, regardless of the name. Would they take a bank check, or wire transfer from a bank?

It sounds like they're trying to get away from dealing with individuals, preferring breweries and homebrew stores instead. Too bad… out of curiosity, are there other malt suppliers that other group buys are using?

HBT member 1234 has mentioned in other Group Buys that he'd be willing to place the order and have it shipped wherever. I have no idea if he's still willing to do this, but it's worth asking if they don't want to do business with you without a business CC.

I am in for two bags. Will post what tonight. Why not see if Steve will order with his account and have it shipped to you?

At time this has felt like work, but at least I don't do TPS reports at work and this results in beer.

Hey guys,
If you are looking to buy in bulk or a group buy I can help? I just opened a home brew shop in Humble and i am more then willing to assist... Send me an email [email protected]

Did anyone else make it out to the AHA Rally this afternoon? Brock put on a really great tour. He brought us everywhere. :ban:

I didn't sift through all seven pages of this thread but is the Houston group buy still in the planning stages? If so, I'd like more info.

I'm waiting on a response from Country Malt on setting up an account. I sent a request for a status earlier today.

I'm hoping I'll get a response from and I can put in the order, but they may not set the account up for me. The first pallet is full and the second pallet is pretty far from filling up. So there wouldn't be an order for a second pallet of it doesn't fill.

In the event that we get approved, I'd be in for 1 more bag if it will help fill pallet #2. For better or worse, my beer consumption seems to be trending upwards...

This is important so I think it bears repeating; some does not apply to us but the procedure is the same:

Originally Posted by CidahMastah 

Payment

To pay, please follow these instructions carefully to avoid paypal fees.
• Click the "Send Money" tab at the top.
• Put in the buyer's email address (check your PM inbox to get that address - I will send it out as soon as we have reached 42 bags or an order is confirmed).
• Put in the amount to send.

Here's the important part...• Under the amount box, click the "Personal" tab.
• Select "Gift".
• If you are paying from an existing paypal balance, or from your bank account, no fees will be charged. BUT... Paypal charges transaction fees for anything that is paid for with a CREDIT CARD. If you are paying with a credit card, you will have the option of selecting who has to cough up the money for those fees. Do not push those fees onto the buyer. Suck those fees up yourself.
• In the area at the bottom where it allows you to type in the custom text for the email that buyer will receive, be sure to include your name, as it appears on the spreadsheet (your homebrewtalk user name), so that buyer can track who has paid and who hasn't.
• Then send the money and chill out.
When the buyer has all of the money, he'll place the order.

Thanks, mredge. There's only so much I could write-up on my phone earlier.

The quote's been received and I sent out the cost breakdown to everyone's email.

Thanks for organizing.
Sent PM with my contact info.
Let me know how much money to send you by Paypal and your email.

Thanks slappy1974.

For those that aren't getting my email updates the grain got delivered today. I'll start a new Houston group buy thread this weekend to start the process over again. I'm going to take a look at the other threads to see if there's a better way to handle the bag requests and tracking process.

Thanks slappy1974.

For those that aren't getting my email updates the grain got delivered today. I'll start a new Houston group buy thread this weekend to start the process over again. I'm going to take a look at the other threads to see if there's a better way to handle the bag requests and tracking process.

Cool, I'm down to my last 5 lbs of 2-row.

Back