House buying tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not as a buyer's agent though...the seller pays the commission. Unless you can negotiate part of the foregone commission from the seller.

Whatever. The agent wants a deal done ASAP, whether it screws you or not. They don't get paid until the deal goes down. Yeah, they signed an agreement to be your representative - that's nice...they still don't get paid until a contract gets signed. And guess what, if you lose $100,000 on your sale, they lose only 6$k..and then get to move on to the next sucker.

Get a real estate attorney.

Whatever. The agent wants a deal done ASAP, whether it screws you or not. They don't get paid until the deal goes down. Yeah, they signed an agreement to be your representative - that's nice...they still don't get paid until a contract gets signed. And guess what, if you lose $100,000 on your sale, they lose only 6$k..and then get to move on to the next sucker.

Hiring an agent is a bit of a double edged sword. While you would like to think they have you best interest in mind, their ultimate goal is to make a living. Their main intentions are to get you to pay the highest price possible and spend as least time as possible with you, freeing up more time for the next sap. All this while trying to convince you how important their services are and how they are on your side.

Sorry if I sound cynical but agents rank up there with lawyers and used car salesmen in my book.

Firstly. I am not a Lawyer, Real Estate anything, and stayed in my own darn bed last night so forget about the Holiday Inn Express bit. This means I am unreliable so ignore me as you will. If you do not personally know the current 'rent to own'ers contact their neighbors and request information on how their houses are holding up. Build quality of the neighborhood and if corners were cut, things just done inproperly if this is a housing development. I hate to say it, but big builders often cut corners. Especially with a construction background look for them.

Leins on the property. This will be found by the closing attourney, but good to know about. Special case things like drainage (does water flow away from the house?), Septic and well, water softeners or other specialty equipment, and do take the above advice about the land type for what you can do with it. Also consider if it is part of a HOA or if there are any other things that may obstruct your from being able to brew outdoors, or do with you house what you want (this is personal preference, but I am not a HOA fan).

Put as much down as you can and pay off more per month if possible, especially at the beginning. This will save you much money in the long run as most loans you spend more on interest and less on principal. Keep a couple months worth of payment in the bank just in case excrement hits the air dispursal device. Banks tend to frown on non-payment. Home inspectors are not a bad idea, if you hire one, follow them through the inspection and ask intelligent questions. Use buzz words even if you do not understand. Express concerns with things like the foundation, cracks, etc. Look for water damage, especially in bathrooms and below them as well as in the attic. Also look for signs of recent renovation work and ask about it. This can tip you off to inate problems with the house and attempts to cover them up. Be suspicious.

I am not going to touch the debate about real estate agents. They can be either an asset or a detriment.

Just re-read the thread. So you know the current owner. Do you trust her? Think of her personality and if she is the type to fix things promptly and maintain.

Just re-read the thread. So you know the current owner. Do you trust her? Think of her personality and if she is the type to fix things promptly and maintain.

Ha answers in order Yes, NO and, NO ha! No Hoa I'd, live in a tent in a national forest somewhere before some micro government told me what to do. Good idea about asking the neighbors about construction. Its not a neighborhood don't do those well either. I know who sold the land for the houses to be built but I don't know who built them I can tell cheap construction I will follow the inspector around and make sure he dose it right. thanks DrunkleJon :mug:

Ha answers in order Yes, NO and, NO ha! No Hoa I'd, live in a tent in a national forest somewhere before some micro government told me what to do. Good idea about asking the neighbors about construction. Its not a neighborhood don't do those well either. I know who sold the land for the houses to be built but I don't know who built them I can tell cheap construction I will follow the inspector around and make sure he dose it right. thanks DrunkleJon :mug:

Happy to share what I know. If you do not trust her maintenance or upkeep be extra retentitive and suspicious of everything. Look for the good old duct tape, cardboard and chewing gum repairs. Also, depending on the age of the house take a look at anything that can be a big cost like the heat/AC.

Best of luck.

Whatever. Get a good agent.

Hiring an agent is a bit of a double edged sword. While you would like to think they have you best interest in mind, their ultimate goal is to make a living. Their main intentions are to get you to pay the highest price possible and spend as least time as possible with you, freeing up more time for the next sap. All this while trying to convince you how important their services are and how they are on your side.

Sorry if I sound cynical but agents rank up there with lawyers and used car salesmen in my book.

Depends on the agent. There are some real slimeballs out there, but most understand how important referrals & reputation are and thus many work very very hard on your behalf. The incentives aren't perfectly aligned, but, at least in my experience, they work pretty well. Then again, I also like lawyers and used car salesmen. So maybe I'm biased.

Back