Hot side aeration with new pump and re-circulation cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamorgan3777

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just added a new SS head chugger pump to my BIAB system and have been using it to recirculate my wort through my chiller to get down to pitching temp. My question is with hot side aeration and using the pump to recirculate. When I first start up, there is some air that is purged through the wort as I prime the pump and lines. Then, when I am recirculating the wort, there is some agitation of the liquid, but nothing major, mostly just whirlpool. I am keeping the agitation to a minimum, but was still wondering what you all think. My last couple of batches have been *meh* and I am trying to track down problems with my brewing.

I doubt it's hot side aeration. It's pretty much bunk as far as home brew systems go. Your system for chilling doesn't sound different from a lot of us on here. Can you describe the "meh" a little?

*meh* is I think a lot of things. I have many areas to improve on.

First and foremost I believe is my fermentation temps. I ferment in the garage in the fall and winter when temps are cool. Also in the dead of winter I cold crash my beer in the garage. In summer I have not. Seems that the cold crashing, in addition to clarifying also removes some off flavors?

Another aspect of the *meh* is that I have tried a few recipes that I am not really fond of.

Thanks for the advice on the HSA. I have read about it, but didnt know what level of aeration was a problem.

Your "meh" is most likely due to the lack of consistent ferment temp control.

I recirculate back though the bag during the mash (via a sprinkler head no less!) and later when running the wort through the plate chiller. No "meh" here.;)

Back