Hot Plate recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HellBentBrewCo

Reaction score
I'm looking for a hot plate for use in my brewery that will let me heat water in a 5 gallon pot as well as potentially heat water in a pyrex flask for starters. I boil water in the 5 gallon pot in order to sanitize my hoses and plate chiller and then as a straining vesel for hops so it would need to be able to boil at least 2-3 gallons of water. I'd like a dual burner plate if at all possible. Does anything like this exist?

You may find a hot plate that will heat starter flask, but I wouldn't hold my breath on one that will do a 3 gallon batch.

You seldom will see a 120 volt hot plate rated above 1500 watts. That is borderline for rolling boil on a 2-3 gallon batch, IMO.

Two burner hot plates with one 1000 watt and one 500 watt burner are fairly common.

What about the induction burners folks are using in the electric breweries?

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ava...r-208-240v-3500-watt/177IC3500 208*240.html

There's also a 120V/1800w version.

I'm not real familiar with the induction burners, other than the basic principal. From Wikipedia, I get this:

The kettle needs to be "induction ready" which apparently means in has to be made of ferromagnetic material like iron, steel or some stainless steels. A glass beaker would not work on it.

I use two 1300W induction units with 12 qt pots. It works about as well as the electric stove.

On the Avantco it very clearly states maximum 10 1/4". I suppose the issue is that a bigger pot would heat up the edges of the box where the stainless comes up to the glass.

I'm looking for a hot plate for use in my brewery that will let me heat water in a 5 gallon pot as well as potentially heat water in a pyrex flask for starters. I boil water in the 5 gallon pot in order to sanitize my hoses and plate chiller and then as a straining vesel for hops so it would need to be able to boil at least 2-3 gallons of water. I'd like a dual burner plate if at all possible. Does anything like this exist?

Back