Hot Peppers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmd2k1

Reaction score
Anyone using hot peppers in their ciders?

Local cidery...Blake's has their El Chavo...which uses Habenaros & mangos. It's excellent....nice bit of heat at the end...but not overpowering...and is a bit sweet...not super dry.

http://www.blakeshardcider.com/products/

Last edited:
No. I’ve tried jalapeño beer and hated it! And I like hot sauce.

How do you use em? Secondary? Sliced up? In a bag or just tossed in? How long? Yadda...yadda...yadda [emoji3]

Don't need to add any up front -- you can wait until the last second, that's what I always do. On the day you are ready to bottle or keg, remove about 3 cups of the finished beer from the fermenter, then to this beer add about 9 or 10 jalapenos per 5 gallons of beer (for "medium" spice), chopped with seeds and all, and bring to a simmer for about 10 minutes. Then cool and add this flavored beer back into the main batch, leaving all the solids behind if possible, then bottle or keg as normal. Voila! If you are concerned about overspicing the beer, you can even start by adding just half the flavored liquid to the main batch, taste it and and work your way up towards all of it if you don't find it overpowering. It just doesn't get much easier than this. You can do the same thing with other peppers, although I imagine for something crazy like habanero or ghost peppers, maybe just 1 or 2 peppers would be plenty for 5 gallons.

I was actually just debating on chipotle at some point for a bit of smokiness as well but not sure about that one.

I was actually just debating on chipotle at some point for a bit of smokiness as well but not sure about that one.
Would be interesting. BBQ and fruit seems to go well together. Pork and apples go well. Bbq chicken pizza often has apples on it. You often see peaches or mangoes paired with mole or other mexican dishes. Might be hard to find the right balance, I can imagine the Smokey flavor becoming overwhelming quickly.

Don't need to add any up front -- you can wait until the last second, that's what I always do. On the day you are ready to bottle or keg, remove about 3 cups of the finished beer from the fermenter, then to this beer add about 9 or 10 jalapenos per 5 gallons of beer (for "medium" spice), chopped with seeds and all, and bring to a simmer for about 10 minutes. Then cool and add this flavored beer back into the main batch, leaving all the solids behind if possible, then bottle or keg as normal. Voila! If you are concerned about overspicing the beer, you can even start by adding just half the flavored liquid to the main batch, taste it and and work your way up towards all of it if you don't find it overpowering. It just doesn't get much easier than this. You can do the same thing with other peppers, although I imagine for something crazy like habanero or ghost peppers, maybe just 1 or 2 peppers would be plenty for 5 gallons.
Are ya talking whole jalapenos chopped? (vs jars of already sliced peppers)

Finally got around to playing around with this. Added 10 already chopped jalapeno pieces from precut jar.....to 1Qt pineapple cider....letting it sit in fridge for awhile. Once I test it....I'll try your heat & cool method to compare.

Cheers! [emoji111]

Last edited:
Any other hot pepper users out there? What are you using? How are you getting the flavor/heat outta the peppers?

Cheers [emoji111]

My 1st hot pepper experiment is pretty dang tasty...

Only 2days into flavor conditioning... the 1Qt test batch of S05...pineapple...jalapeno...cinnamon has plenty of great taste...really nice heat & maybe too much for average peeps. Need to recount the # slices used...and moving forward probably want to use peppers first...get to desired heat and then filter pieces out and add the FPJC & cinnamon sticks. 2days is too soon to get much cinnamon taste....but at this point gonna add this combo to my regular rotation!

Cheers [emoji111]

No. I’ve tried jalapeño beer and hated it! And I like hot sauce.

Same here.

However, had a pepper cider and wasn't against it...

Give it a crack! Maybe not on your a 5 gallon batch, but buy one in a store.

Haven't made my own with peppers yet though. Might have to give it a try!

Resurrect old thread

I just tired my first habenero cider. I did 1 de-seeded pepper in 1 gal, for 5 days. It is OK, but not nearly the kick I was looking for. The heat is there, but just barely, in my opinion.

Of course this is very young, I just pulled a short glass off while bottling the rest. Anyone know if the taste "heats up" as it ages? I just threw 2 peppers into another gal to see how that goes. I can always mix it with other cider at bottling if 2 is too much. But unless it changes with age, I think 2 peppers is about right.

Resurrect old thread

I just tired my first habenero cider. I did 1 de-seeded pepper in 1 gal, for 5 days. It is OK, but not nearly the kick I was looking for. The heat is there, but just barely, in my opinion.

Of course this is very young, I just pulled a short glass off while bottling the rest. Anyone know if the taste "heats up" as it ages? I just threw 2 peppers into another gal to see how that goes. I can always mix it with other cider at bottling if 2 is too much. But unless it changes with age, I think 2 peppers is about right.
No Habenaro for me (yet) - been doing jalapenos - Getta nice heat -- I use the precut Sams slices 8-10 per Qt. My favs so far are Pineapple jalapeno & Blueberry Jalapeno. Cheers [emoji111]

I just setup a test of 3 pints jars....
1 Pt. my basic cider
1 Pt. added two cinnamon sticks
1 Pt. added 5 slices of store purchased HOT jalapeno peppers....
I'll invite some freinds over and have them do side by side blind tast test.
After tasting I'll report back

I've done an Imperial Porter with Chipotle peppers. I used 4 peppers crushed into a pint size mason jar and covered with vodka. Let that soak for a few weeks and then dumped the vodka in the bottom of the keg when racking.
The heat is almost too much - almost :yes:. The first sip will catch you off guard, but mellows out after that.

I used dried ancho Chile’s in a beer. Life got busy... dried chilies to long. Taste like jalapeño juice. I’m not dumping, but not drinking it.

Here's where the hot gets ya for various peppers...

Screenshot_2019-02-12-17-31-10_crop_660x1026.jpeg

I don't know who made that list but fresh habanero peppers burn the lips, tongue, back of throat, and if you don't wash your hands before you pee or otherwise handle them, private parts (includes touching the wife inappropriately):eek:
Capsasin (sp?) is an oil that doesn't differentiate between parts it touches.

I just setup a test of 3 pints jars....
1 Pt. my basic cider
1 Pt. added two cinnamon sticks
1 Pt. added 5 slices of store purchased HOT jalapeno peppers....
I'll invite some freinds over and have them do side by side blind tast test.
After tasting I'll report back
I did my side by side, 3 testers, two don't like peppers and did not like Jalapeno sample, third person liked the Jalapeno but could not name the flavor, but all three tasters picked the cinnamon sample as the preferred sample.

I did my side by side, 3 testers, two don't like peppers and did not like Jalapeno sample, third person liked the Jalapeno but could not name the flavor, but all three tasters picked the cinnamon sample as the preferred sample.

I've found that adding Jalapenos to my pineapple & blueberry ciders are far better than just adding to plain cider. Like the Blake's El Chavo that inspired me you get the sweet fruitiness & the heat combo that really seems to work well together. Cheers & Happy cidering.

Back