Hot fermentation, what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emoutal

Reaction score
OK, I don't want to start another "is my beer ruined post", I just have a question.

I brewed an english bitter on tuesday, and then the next day, the weather gets super hot (I'm in yellowknife, you wouldn't think it would be one of the hottest places in Canada at the moment). I'm still new to brewing and I'm not set up with an ice bucket or anything like that (but i'll look into it now).

Anyways, my beer fermented at about 75 degrees (maybe even a little higher sometimes). I know that my beer is not ruined, and I know that time heals all wounds, but I want to know how should I do it. Is it best to let it age in the primary, secondary or bottles?

I used nottingham yeast in case you were wondering.

I'd be willing to bet it's better than you think it's going to be.
Cool it down and bottle it in a week or so.
Go ahead and start taking sample bottles in a month...remember to let them chill for a few days before you open.
Report back on this thread.

I actually have very high hopes for the batch. It's the first real kit (meaning not using prehopped LME). I thought that leaving it in the primary for longer than a week and a half would be better, but i guess i can let it age in the bottles too (and free up my carboys for new batches).

Nottingham can handle those temperatures without too much fruit. Personally, I'd leave it in the fermenter for another couple weeks.

Or, you can drap t-shirts over it that were wrung out in cold water. You could even put a fan blowing on it (with the shirts) if you are that concerned about it. Other ways I have cooled batches down after they ferment is to put it in a tub that is big enough to accommodate the carboy and fill it with cool water. Like the others said, I think you'll be fine.

At this point, just let it be. I'd let it sit another week, and then start checking FG. The first 2 days are the key.

I'd look into finding another way to keep it cold for the next brew. Carboy in ice bath, with wet shirt and fan works as you already probably know. And don't worry, soon it will be cool enough so you can avoid doing all that.

You might get something closer to an American pale ale, but I'm willing to bet it will be great right out of the primary. Give it two weeks and pull a sample, if you want to age it longer then move to secondary or just bottle after three weeks.

I think your best bet would be to leave it in the primary for 3 weeks to let that yeast clean up everything. The last thing you want to do is take it off the yeast cake too soon, otherwise you will have a hell of a wait for it to clean up on its own.

At the three week point, pull a sample and decide if any off-flavours are still there. If so, rack it to a secondary and sample it every 2-3 weeks until you can live with it. Otherwise, rack it to a bottling bucket.

:mug:

Flyguy, that's what my plan was originally, i just wanted to get another opinion. The fermentation has slowed down, krausen has fallen and bubbles have slowed a lot. But the heat has stayed.

I also started my first ever batch of apfelwein at the same time, but i'm guessing the fruity off flavours won't be a problem with that.

I was going to start a new thread but this one will work. What are good fermentation temps? For Ales? I usually keep my place at 75-80 deg during the summer is this too high?

I was going to start a new thread but this one will work. What are good fermentation temps? For Ales? I usually keep my place at 75-80 deg during the summer is this too high?
Yes, for most strains you want to be below 70F. Check with the manufacturer's directions for the optimal range. Typically it is around 68F.

If you go hotter, particularly in the early stages of fermentation, you are prone to off flavours, particularly if you under-pitch or under-aerate.

Well I'm not AG and using kits (doing my second brew this upcoming Sat) so my yeast is dry.

Looks like I need to buy a fan and get some wet shirts...wow the effort!

Another thing to do that is easy(and cheap) is get a tupperware container large enough to hold a carpoy and a couple of frozen jugs of water. Fill the container half way with water and add frozen jugs. Change out the frozen water jugs every 12 hours. Does the trick. Add as many as needed to get down to 68.

This is done for the primary fermentation (1 week'ish)? Or for both he primary and secondary? or all three (bottle conditioning)?

At this rate I might just make beer in the winter when its 65 all the time :(

From my experience, Nottingham will produce very little off flavors even at high fermentation temperatures. I'm not recommending it or anything, but I do know my Blond Ale turned out great!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=72308

While I was away (around 24-36 hours after pitching) the wort temperature spiked to 86. Well, the beer is great. It is a favorite actually. I think most of the fermentation happened quickly as it rose from 70-80 because when I got to it, it was a few points form finished. I used a slightly kilned base malt so maybe that is covering stuff up a little, but I taste no esters or hot alcohols. I like Notty :mug:

Any pictures of that AG rig? Thats my other problem...I live in Chicago and there are no yards/ driveways/ basements...there is a kitchen, a second bathroom and a balcony. i figure I can use these to get some work done but trying to maintain temps of below 70 here in the summer can be...interesting at best. let alone the space to AG.

Beer...my arch enemy :mad:

yes but I am having trouble with my pc's card reading drivers. I'll work on it. BTW, my kitchen is tiny. I am currently working on crappy stove top optimization for full boils.

The styrofoam idea is ok if you can't wait and want to throw a mash tun together to give AG a shot. Just know it is not durable (obviously) and doesn't clean up well (my biggest concern). I wasn't ready to commit to constructing a true MLT so I made that real quick for cheap. It was just a SS braid zip tied to to a piece of the tube that was inside it. That piece was pushed through a hole I made by hand with a drill bit (undersized). Didn't leak for the two AG sessions I used it. Now I have converted a cooler and thrown that away.

But anyway, I'll seen if I can make my pc comply and get those pics. Oh, and beer's your friend. Don't get to worried about this batch. Every beer I've made and drank I have enjoyed, while remembering all my mistakes and tweaks I want to do better next time.

Just an update. I just cracked open a bottle of the brew from the original post. It's delicious. I'm glad I let it age. I don't think there are any fusels (not that I really know what that would taste like), and doesn't even taste fruity.

Thanks guys.

Another thing to do that is easy(and cheap) is get a tupperware container large enough to hold a carpoy and a couple of frozen jugs of water. Fill the container half way with water and add frozen jugs. Change out the frozen water jugs every 12 hours. Does the trick. Add as many as needed to get down to 68.

did the same thing here. i only put in 2 gallons of water and added one small frozen gatorade bottle and an ice pack and got the water temp down to 65. i also threw a wet t-shirt over the ale pail. i modded the lid and was able to get it to seal almost all the way around and was able to get the temp above the water down from 74 degrees to 70.

Back