hose braid scratching my mash tun....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_g08

Reaction score
Hello.

I have all grain brewed for about 10 years with a 5 gallon bucket mash tun. I have a single length of hose braid connected to vinyl tubing, which runs through the wall of the bucket. The hose braid is clamped onto the tubing with a simple screw type hose clamp. (I got the idea for the tubing, etc, from Denny, and the 5 gallon bucket idea came from a guy named Charlie, without all of the drilled holes....).

Anyway, the hose braid and especially, the hose clamp, have scratched the bottom of the bucket from stirring the mash. I worry about plastic shavings and the like entering my beer.

I like the hose braid very much. How do I stop the scratching? I have thought about using CPVC tubing (with slots cut in sides) to serve as a protective sleeve over the hose braid. I do worry about efficiency drop, but I batch sparge, so it may be a non-issue....

Any thoughts on this?

If I was getting so much scratching that plastic shavings were getting into my beer, I'd be more concerned about the bottom of the bucket wearing out and leaking my mash everywhere.

Also, wouldn't the braid filter out the shavings and keep them in the mash tun?

I use a wooden spoon - no issues there.

As to the plastic shavings, I am exaggerating. I have discolored scratches (some fairly deep) from the hose braid and hose clamp.

Does anyone have this sort of issue with a cooler converted to mash tun (with denny-style hose braid)?

It's not a concern. Scratches are pre-boil. I acquired some when I used a metal spoon. I switched to a plastic mash paddle, then a stainless whisk that doesn't scratch.

Of course it doesn't look great, but it won't hurt anything.

Any plastic bits should settle out in the fermentor.

Additionally your braid and the grain bed should filter out any potential plastic shavings. Anything small enough to get through there will either get caught up in the break from the boil, the krausen ring or the trub in the bottom of the fermenter. Any bits that make it through there and get consumed are probably small enough to not worry about.

Back