Horrifically low SG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkStarNJ

Reaction score
Boiling now, only 1.030.... 7 gals, was Supposed to be 6 galbatch.

Already added dme on hand.

Would adding dextrosebe a mistake?

Should I just boil down to reasonable gravity and accept volume loss. Maybe down to 4 gal.

what s the style have you added battering hops? If no hops I would just build down to my sg and then add them. I would assume if you missed your numbers terribly then something else may be wrong with that wort.

what was your estimated preboil gravity and volume supposed to be?

Did you use a hydrometer? If so, what was the temperature of the wort when you took the reading? If is above what the hydrometer was calibrated at, then you have to take that into account. I use BeerSmith2 and they have a great conversion tool. My last batch (first all grain) I hit 1.04 and I was scratching my head until I noticed the tool and that I took my reading when the wort was 140ish F. Using the tool I found out I was actually at 1.06 which fit my target almost to a T.

Did you use a hydrometer? If so, what was the temperature of the wort when you took the reading? If is above what the hydrometer was calibrated at, then you have to take that into account. I use BeerSmith2 and they have a great conversion tool. My last batch (first all grain) I hit 1.04 and I was scratching my head until I noticed the tool and that I took my reading when the wort was 140ish F. Using the tool I found out I was actually at 1.06 which fit my target almost to a T.

Cripes. Thank You. This is it. I’m a jackass. Panicked Fixed something that didn’t need fixing And now i have 4 gallons of 1.09 wort :p

Worst brew session ever. If it could go wrong it did. I guess i have an Imperial IPA now

Thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Back