Hops pictures and harvest question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hlumbard

Reaction score
So I've got cascades that feel papery on top but at the bottom they're still a little firm. Should I just leave them up? Is there any harm in leaving them too long? It's my first time growing and I'd hate to ruin all this patience. I read somewhere that when they just start to turn brown is when to pick so that's why I got started.

4893874985_a7cb7e284e_z_d.jpg

Where are u located ? Dry some out 100% if they still have heavy grass smell they are not ready.Look for pictures of my cones July 20.I expect to start harvest 8/27.Cascades when ready should be 23% moisture content Chinooks 22% on dry matter tests Cheers Glen

I'm in Lower Westchester county NY. I guess I'll see what comes after I dry these. I was just really eager to pick some and then as I was going realized they may not be quite ready. We shall see.

4894555480_57c725cdd8_z_d.jpg

They should be good. Mine looked like that and smelled a little grassy. I air dried them for a week and they were good. They still smelled slightly grassy when dry but I kind of crushed/rubbed them a little before using them and the cascade smell was real nice.

I think you will be fine

Hi guys, I'm growing Cascades in Queens, but didn't get them planted until June. I've read that Cascades are one of the latest maturing of all hops varieties, and I have some nice big ones like are pictured above, but there is just no hops aroma on the plant. There is a little lupulin visible at the bases. They are almost all still green, maybe one or two have a little brown on the tips. Does the smell just not come out until these things are dry and roughed up a bit? I heard on Brewstrong the otherday that one of the main things that effects the hops oils for aroma is time on the vine. They didn't say whether more or less was a good thing though.

I'm a first year grower too, but I'd say that yours look a little 'undercooked' - i'd leave them on the vine for a while longer. I made the mistake of harvesting too soon - only a few ounces dry, but still might have been a waste. Mine do have a great cascade smell when they're crushed up in between my hands, but the smell is way to grassy right outta the bag... I haven't tried to brew with them yet, but I'm skeptical of how the product will taste.

You have to dry them anyway, so I say you might as well let the fall air do a little work for you.

As a side note, I just stumbled upon a TON of wild hops near my house in CT and the cones on those plants were definitely in a riper condition than when mine were harvested. They were much more papery and smelled WAY more potent. It's a learning experience either way, but I'm glad I got it figured out my first year - all set for a (hopefully!) big harvest next year.

Excellent video HF! It is actually looking like I will get a really good yield out of two vines on a first year planting. I was really wondering what that "papery" sound and feel was.

This deserves to be sent back to the top.

Awesome video, that answered a lot of my questions! Ive got a 1st year cascade plant growing in the backyard thats got a good amount of cones on it. According to the video they are not quite ready yet but hopefully they will be soon. Cant wait to harvest them!

Back