Hops- Leaf VS Pellet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robusto

Reaction score
Hi all. So, when it comes to hops, can you interchange leaf and pellets at the same weight? In other words, will an ounce of leaf hops bitter or add aroma the same as an ounce of pellets? Does the boil time change?

Thanks in advance

In essence yes, but more importantly is the AA value may be different even between the same hops. The reason for this is the weather and the growing seasons with whole leaf. Due to nature of growing hops different seasons may yield different AA values in the whole hop. In the process making pellets these differences can be managed by the grower and processor to some degree. So....... when creating and calculating your IBU's you may need more or less of a hop if the AA value is different even between 1 oz of the same hop if it's pellet or whole.

I boiled pellets for the first time, and they clogged up my spaghetti strainer I use to pour the wort into primary. I'm sticking with leaves.

A microbrewer told me pellets are more consistent and don't dry out as easily.

Latest posts

Back