hops identification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheephrdr

Reaction score
Hi I am heading out west to BC in a couple weeks, I plan on picking up some hops and Rhizomes (spelling) from crannog farms while im there. I was talking to my dad about this, if he knew where it was etc. Anyways it turns out he has hops on his property/farm as well, there are wine grapes also so I assume at some point someone grew there own hops and grapes for wine and beer.

Ok to my point, is there a way to find out what variety of hops these are I am hopping they arent the type you see in nurseries or whatever. I am going to steal rhizomes off his plants aswell, too bad we werent going out in the summer/fall so I could take some actual hops also and test them out.

Anycase it would be cool to hear back from anybody regarding hop identification.:mug:

Identifying hops isn't easy. Basic table gives descriptions, but you need an actual, ripe hop flower. Some other clues are the size of a mature plant, when the plant ripens, etc.

Since it takes two years before a rhizome produces a mature plant, planting a total unknown probably isn't worth it. In this case, I would make an exception, since it's off your dad's farm. Get a really big chunk of root and it might product in one year.

If nothing else, you can decide what the hop is good for once it's grown. Most home growers don't use their hops for bittering because the alpha acid content varies from year to year and is really tough to judge.

Call it Dad's Old Fashioned Hop and have a homebrew.

david_42 said:
Most home growers don't use their hops for bittering because the alpha acid content varies from year to year and is really tough to judge.

This is just one of those things that would never bother me. I'd know a rough estimate of the AA% and I'd just go with an average. Since less than 10 IBUs isn't distinguishable anyway, you'd be pretty safe in getting close using averages, I'd guess.

I read about a lab that you can send your hops (or your beer) to and they can figure AA or IBUs for you. It was a bit pricey IIRC.

And you could always just use them for some mad dryhopping. :rockin:

Right, Dude. Home grow AA can very a lot more than commercial hops, because we don't control growing conditions very well. One of the guys at OSU was saying his hops' AA can double or half from one year to the next. I guess you could always make some hop tea if the bittering is too low and just live with it if it's high. I plan on using mine for flavor and aroma, as well as dry-hopping.

I'd just use them in a single hopped APA (as discussed in the other thread) and see where I landed. Just right, I'd drink it and brew it again. Too high, I'd drink it and reduce it the next time. Too low, I'd give it away and bump the hops up next batch. That's assuming I liked the flavor.

Sounds cool to me...that reminds me, I need to take up BostonBrewin' on his hop rhizome offer.

BeeGee said:
I'd just use them in a single hopped APA (as discussed in the other thread) and see where I landed. Just right, I'd drink it and brew it again. Too high, I'd drink it and reduce it the next time. Too low, I'd give it away and bump the hops up next batch. That's assuming I liked the flavor.

Sounds cool to me...that reminds me, I need to take up BostonBrewin' on his hop rhizome offer.

What did he have for Rhizomes? I forgot all about that!

Back