Hops for pumpkin beers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrobidoux

Reaction score
I have seen pumpkin recipes on here with all manner of hops included. Magnum, Hallertaur, Northern Brewer, Goldings, Mount Hood, Fuggle, Liberty, Saaz, Horizon, the list goes on! Anyone have a definitive opinion on what is best?

Anything earthy like the list you just posted. I liked northern brewer and fuggle in mine.

In your pumpkin ale you want hops that are not too spicy, so they won't cover the taste of the pumpkin and not too bitter because pumpkin spices will add some bitterness to the beer. I use Willamette, 23 IBUs.

In your pumpkin ale you want hops that are not too spicy, so they won't cover the taste of the pumpkin and not too bitter because pumpkin spices will add some bitterness to the beer. I use Willamette, 23 IBUs.

This is round about what I've done as well. Willamette seems to creep into a lot of my brews...

I think it really depends on your underlying base beer style. Same with yeast you'd use. If you're doing a Pumpkin Porter then you'd want to use hops traditionally used in the style. If it's an English porter than you'd use something like fuggles or EKG's. If it's an American Amber then maybe a c hop or whatever you like in your ambers.

Back