Hops for a Bourbon Barrel Aged RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage06

Reaction score
I have a freshly emptied 5 gal bourbon barrel and I am going to brew a big stout to age in it.

I was looking for ideas as far as hop additions go.

I am planning to add cacao nibs and coffee as well as some extra coldbrew coffee.

The recipe I am emulating has two late hop additions of Willamette. It seems to me this will get completely lost with all of the other flavors happening in the beer. Should I even bother or just go for a 60min addition of Magnum or Nugget?

Recipe:

Fermentable Amount
Pale 2-Row (UK) - 14.0 lb
Flaked Oats - 1.5 lb
Roasted Barley (US) - 1.0 lb
Chocolate (BE) - 0.75 lb
Special B (BE) - 0.5 lb
Hops Boil time: 90 min

Hop Amount
Nugget (US) 1.0 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 14.3%
Williamette (US) 1.25 oz 25 min Boil Pellet 6.0%
Williamette (US) 1.75 oz 10 min Boil Pellet 6.0%
Yeasts

American Ale Wyeast 1056

Extras

Name Amount Time Use
Cacao Nibs 1.5 oz 15.0 min Boil
Coffee (Ground) 2.0 oz 0.0 min Boil
Coffee (Brewed) 2.0 oz 2.0 week Secondary

I have a batch in a 5 gallon barrel right now I'll look at my recipe later today and post

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I made an RIS for this reason as well that ended up placing in a comp. My recipe had an OG of 1095 and about 75IBU's, 60 coming from bittering. I did 10min hop additions but after about a year or so they probably will dissipate, so to answer your question probably only a 60min is necessary as most hops will get lost behind the barrel

I brewed a Bourbon Chocolate Stout this winter and used 1 oz fuggle @ 60min and 1 oz Goldings @ 10 min. I only aged it on oak for 2 months and not much hop flavors came through. The chocolate, Oak, and bourbon definitely took the front seat. Nugget or Magnum may shine through a bit more than fuggle but I think your late editions might get over powered. I would jack up your early addition to your desired IBU's and forget about the late additions so you will get a nice hop profile in the beginning and it will finish with bourbon, chocolate, and coffee.

My last RIS used 5 oz of belma for bittering. All at 60 minutes. No point in using any flavor or aroma as they'll age out by the time it is good to drink.

There's a utube video posted by bobby m they fill a 65 gallon bourbon barrel with stout. I don't know the gravity of their brown ale but they were able to get another 25 gallons of brown ale out of the same mash. If those numbers are close to mine I could get around 3 gallons of brown ale after adding the maple syrup. Basically I'm just going to get the volume I can and hit my gravity and then I will tailor my hop additions in beer smith on the fly based on the volume I get.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back