Hops Addition Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooba

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of my 3rd batch right now. Might be a stupid question, but when I add my aroma hop to the boil at the end, do I take the bittering hops out or just add the aroma hops in the same bag? I'm using pellets.

Leave them all in the same bag. Your bittering hops have probably released most of their Alpha Acids (bittering) by that time but there is no harm in leaving them in the bag. I hope that helps.

SouthernBrewMan said:
Leave them all in the same bag. Your bittering hops have probably released most of their Alpha Acids (bittering) by that time but there is no harm in leaving them in the bag. I hope that helps.

Awesome!!! Thanks so much!

How long are you supposed to leave hops in the wort that were added after flame out?

How long are you supposed to leave hops in the wort that were added after flame out?

They can be removed if you had them in a bag or they can be left in. During fermentation they will drift down and compact at the bottom with the yeast, anyway.

B

EDIT: That sounds confusing. I meant, pull the bag if they were in one; otherwise, if you can avoid the loose bits as you transfer into the fermenter that is ok, but not to worry if you don't.

They can be removed if you had them in a bag or they can be left in. During fermentation they will drift down and compact at the bottom with the yeast, anyway.

B

Thanks but I'm wondering how long the bag needs to soak in the hot liquid before I pull it.

I just read a thread where they are left in for 20-30 min before cooling, then removed and then wort cooled.

B

Back