American Stout Hoppy American Stout (Summoner Stout)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgrimm101

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
US-05 Rehydrated
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 68F
Tasting Notes
Quite bitter with notes of chocolate and roasty sweetness.
I posted this in the recipe/ingredient section, but I thought I'd post it here in the stout section.

This is a variation on a recipe that I got from BYO.com on their American Stout profile. I increased the amounts of grain, extract, and hops slightly and I changed the bittering hops from Horizon to Columbus.

I am calling it Summoner Stout.

Ingredients:
9 lbs Light LME
1 lbs Black Patent Barley
12 oz Crystal 60L (Recipe called for 40L but my LHBS ran out)
12 oz US Chocolate Malt
4 oz Wheat DME
1.5 oz Columbus hop pellets (60 min)
1.0 oz Centennial hop pellets (5 min)
0.5 oz Columbus hop pellets (5 min)
1 tbs Irish Moss (15 min)
1.5 packets of rehydrated Safale US-05

Method
-Steep the grains in muslin bags (I used 3) for 30 min at 170F in 2.5 gallons of water.
-Stir in the extract and add water for a preboil volume of 4 gallons.
-Bring it to a boil and wait until just after the hot break.
-Start the 60 minute timer and stir in the bittering hops (1.5 oz of Columbus)
-Stir occasionally.
-At 15 minutes add the Irish Moss.
-At 5 minutes add the 0.5 oz of Columbus and 1 oz of Centennial hops.
-Remove from heat and chill to about 70F (I use an ice bath in a sink)
-Rehydrate the yeast.
-Rack from kettle to primary, using autosiphon and a stainless steel strainer to remove excesss trub/hop material.
-Add water to get it to 5 gallons (I had about 3.5 gallons in the fermenter before I added water).
-Take a sample for hydrometer reading
-Pitch yeast, attach lid and airlock

*Notes*
I added the 0.5 oz of Columbus hops at 5 min because I had them leftover from the bittering addition, and I am a hophead so I wanted to see what kind of flavor they can add to this stout. I was hoping for a beer that is bittersweet, smooth yet complex, with hints of roasty chocolate, and a good mouthfeel. I know it probably would have been more roasty if I had used roasted barley, but I'm curious to see what the black patent will do.

The recipe didn't call for any wheat DME to be added, but I had some leftover from a previous brew and added it in the hopes that it would help with head retention and hopefully thicken it up for a better mouthfeel.

I let it condition for 2 weeks in bottles then I chilled 1 bottle for 48 hours for a taste. It was slightly undercarbed. Another week or 2 conditioning time will really set this beer off.

Overall I am very happy with it and will for sure be brewing it again.

Back