(Hopefully) Easy Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cji1VSk.jpg

fgsNvcU.jpg

XevWOPR.jpg

The layflat and insulation seems to be working pretty well! Need to get more pipe insulation for the hose run though.. ran out. Also only have two layers of insulation on the conical top, probably will do a third -- noticeably condensation.

The heattape, as expected, isn't doing much. Only 60 watts, not expecting to heat up 12 gallons of water much with it. But it's brought it up half a degree, leaving it on overnight to see how much it can do. I suspect it'll be fine with insulation and capturing ferm. heat for ales.

So HUB in Portland said during dock hours they'll gladly give out yeast slurry if you bring a container. Gonna run up there tomorrow and get some of their Bohemian Lager (Wyeast 2124) and brew a 10gal Pilsner on Tuesday. Excited to not have to buy a few packs or make a stupid giant starter. Then in the coming week Sasquatch is gonna give me some Chico. Free yeast sure is cutting down on the price of brewing. Also picked up a grain mill and a sack of 2row and pilsner today.

Woke up to the heated conical up to 75, and the cold one at a slushy 33. Very nice, wasnt sure if I'd be able to cold-crash with it well. Only pitfall is my probe placement wasn't too great... need to rework that somehow. Was off by a bunch.

Going to brew tonight. Think I'll just make a simple SMASH using stuff on hand... so pilsner and centennial, chico strain. Go to about the 1.050 range with 40 IBU or so. Standard pale ale but very pale. A good lawn mower beer for these colder months, lol.

So just kegged up the first beer from this system. Pitched chico slurry from a brewpub and it fermented out in 3 days. Let it go for a couple more and then dry-hopped for a day, cold crashed for a day and just kegged with some more keg dry hops. First time trying a short dry-hop after seeing that brulosophy post. Anyways, kegged 8 days after brewing -- think that's the quickest I've done (normally do more like 10 days for my lower-range stuffs), but excited to see how pungent the hops will be on such a young pale.

So the brew was a complete dream -- got 75% with mill just on default settings, full-volume no sparge BIAB. I might try to tighten up the mill a bit and try to hit closer to 80. Not on the next brew though since it's an English Mild and I dont want it getting higher than expected. Brew after that is a big RIS so I'll try it then, as well as a reserve gallon or two of sparge.

The conical cooling system worked well. I opened the top a couple of times and stuck a thermometer down in the wort and it was fairly consistent. Towards the end I turned the heat on to get it to 70-72 and I did have issues there. My probe was reading 71 at one point, while the beer was at 74 top center, 77 on the top sidewalls. I am debating on installing thermowells versus just being weary of the heat-variance. Maybe the next time I try to raise it up for a 72F finish I will just kick it up to 68 or somethin.

So the main thing -- I accomplished Easy Brewing for sure. Brew day was quick and painless. The ratcheting pulley was super easy and I just let the bag hang and drip-dry, then I emptied it into a trash bag. Rinsed with a hose and hung it up. After draining to my conical I removed the TC element and disconnected the RTD probe, sprayed BK out with the hose and then took a sponge and a little PBW to it, sprayed out again. All told it was probably a thirty second cleaning for the bag, and another thirty seconds for the kettle. Oh, my insulated box idea worked... OK. Not as good as planned. There's a couple of inches of space around the bottom that the box doesnt reach down to, so this weekend I'm going to wrap the pot in a blanket first and then put the box on and see.

Loved the conical too. Dumping trub was easy. Pulling hydrometer samples was easy. Racking to a keg was easy. One thing is I'll have to learn a schedule for the racking. I think I wasted a bit of beer dumping too often. Didnt harvest yeast on this one since I still have a pint of chico slurry from the brewpub. After I racked cleaning was about the same as my brew kettle. Sprayed it out with a hose really well, took a sponge and some PBW to it, sprayed again. Never going back to carboys, tell you that.

Qr03Gwm.jpg

aKan4rk.jpg

Do you just run electric full blast to strike then in manual mode? And manual in boil to control boil

Do you just run electric full blast to strike then in manual mode? And manual in boil to control boil

I set the PID to my strike temp and it runs the element full blast up until it gets near the set point. I stir every once in awhile to keep the probe reading accurately. Then turn it off and mash. Once done with mash I set it to manual mode and bring it to a boil, then kick the percentage down to maintain a decent boil.

English Mild is fermenting away quite nicely. I am brewing an RIS on Thursday. Have another jar of 1318 from HUB I'll use for that, and I'm also going to either top crop or pull some slurry from the mild and dump some into the RIS. The mild seems to be about over in a whopping day to day and a half. 1.035 and a healthy pitch, tell you what.

So the taped probe to side of conical under insulation is a little wonky, but I'm learning it enough to be satisfied enough to not drop money on thermowells. The first brew I opened the lid and spot-checked with my handheld a bunch and it worked great on cooling cycle. Not really any issues at all. But when I set the unit to 72 to help finish fermentation, I come in the next day and it's only reading 70. I popped the top and the top of the conical was at 77. Testing it on the mild and I bumped it up to 67, top layer is only about 70-71 now. So kinks seem to be worked out.

Just tightened up the grain mill some. I don't have feeler gauges but it's very tight. Previous two brews I did a full-volume no sparge and got 75% efficiency with it set at credit-card thickness. Everything was crushed, but I did have some pretty whole (but thoroughly cracked at least) grains here and there, and almost no flour. Just set it now to um... plastic insurance card thickness. Grains are mighty destroyed. Looking forward to seeing what efficiency I'll get on a 1.100 beer. Might keep a gallon or two back for a pour-sparge as well. Don't know if I'll go through with that though.

English Mild is fermenting away quite nicely. I am brewing an RIS on Thursday. Have another jar of 1318 from HUB I'll use for that, and I'm also going to either top crop or pull some slurry from the mild and dump some into the RIS. The mild seems to be about over in a whopping day to day and a half. 1.035 and a healthy pitch, tell you what.

So the taped probe to side of conical under insulation is a little wonky, but I'm learning it enough to be satisfied enough to not drop money on thermowells. The first brew I opened the lid and spot-checked with my handheld a bunch and it worked great on cooling cycle. Not really any issues at all. But when I set the unit to 72 to help finish fermentation, I come in the next day and it's only reading 70. I popped the top and the top of the conical was at 77. Testing it on the mild and I bumped it up to 67, top layer is only about 70-71 now. So kinks seem to be worked out.

Just tightened up the grain mill some. I don't have feeler gauges but it's very tight. Previous two brews I did a full-volume no sparge and got 75% efficiency with it set at credit-card thickness. Everything was crushed, but I did have some pretty whole (but thoroughly cracked at least) grains here and there, and almost no flour. Just set it now to um... plastic insurance card thickness. Grains are mighty destroyed. Looking forward to seeing what efficiency I'll get on a 1.100 beer. Might keep a gallon or two back for a pour-sparge as well. Don't know if I'll go through with that though.

How did mash temps go

Would you mind posting your Stout recipe? I really think a trash bag over the top of the blanket will seal in the heat. I'm curious where you age the beers after they're done fermenting

Sure, but it's just a new one I'm trying, not tried and true.

75% 2row
10% roasted barley
10% flaked rye
5% special b

Just whatever bittering hops I have onhand Ill get it up to around 60 IBU I think. Using Wyeast 1318 London Ale 3 cause I have it on hand. Going for around 1.095 OG.

Might secondary half of it with peanut butter and chocolate.

The Mild I brewed on Sat is at terminal gravity. Will let it sit a few more days to clear up before I crash and keg.

Sure, but it's just a new one I'm trying, not tried and true.

75% 2row
10% roasted barley
10% flaked rye
5% special b

Just whatever bittering hops I have onhand Ill get it up to around 60 IBU I think. Using Wyeast 1318 London Ale 3 cause I have it on hand. Going for around 1.095 OG.

Might secondary half of it with peanut butter and chocolate.

im all for it! Seems brilliant in its simpleness. Special B. i see it everywhere never heard of it until my last brew. They had this recipe at my lhbs store called devils cloister and i changed it a little i dont know what it was an abbey? it was modified to 10 2 row 2 chateu monastique .5 special b...i think......man i am looking forward to dipping my face in those grain bins next time I go in. those grains are soo good.

Back