Hoped and bourbon barrel ciders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiBeerMan

Reaction score
So I visited a local cidery yesterday that had a decent selection of cider on tap and a couple of those were one with hops and another regular cider aged 6 months in bourbon barrels. I tried both and concluded that I didn't care for the one with hops but really enjoyed the bourbon barrel one. Anyone else have experience with either of these

So I visited a local cidery yesterday that had a decent selection of cider on tap and a couple of those were one with hops and another regular cider aged 6 months in bourbon barrels. I tried both and concluded that I didn't care for the one with hops but really enjoyed the bourbon barrel one. Anyone else have experience with either of these
Don't care for hops at all [emoji43]

Just did my 1st barrel aged faux ice cider - was a 2L charred oak barrel (not a used bourbon one) - aged the cider for 40days - which is equivalent to 6months in the standard 53gal size. End product is amazingly like a tasty low ABV bourbon (14%).

Will be aging more over time [emoji111]

Last edited:
Don't care for hops at all [emoji43]

Just did my 1st barrel aged faux ice cider - was a 2L charred oak barrel (not a used bourbon one) - aged the cider for 40days - which is equivalent to 6months in the standard 53gal size. End product tasted amazingly like a tasty low ABV bourbon (14%).

Will be aging more over time [emoji111]
The one I tasted had the bourbon taste to it but like you said it was like a low abv bourbon. I've been looking at the 20l size barrels so I could do a 5 gallon batch. So the aging time is less if you have a smaller barrel?

The one I tasted had the bourbon taste to it but like you said it was like a low abv bourbon. I've been looking at the 20l size barrels so I could do a 5 gallon batch. So the aging time is less if you have a smaller barrel?
Yep -- here's a chart [emoji111]

Screenshot_2019-04-05-21-14-58-576x1024.jpeg

cool, thank you. So if i end up doing the 20L size, expect about 6 months. Did you get your barrel from redhead and if so how do you like it

cool, thank you. So if i end up doing the 20L size, expect about 6 months. Did you get your barrel from redhead and if so how do you like it

Got my 2L as a bday gift...not sure where it came from. No issues - just make sure to follow directions for prepping for use -- rinsing and letting sit for a bit with H20 so the wood swells. Also learned that adding room temp (rather than chilled) cider etc is best approach to avoid any leaking. Looking at getting a 10L at some point -- most likely from http://www.barrelsonline.com/

Cheers :)

So I’ve done both. I wasn’t a big fan of the hops. But I think you need the right variety and fresh hops have gotta be better than pellets. A local cidery used Teamaker hops, a variety used more for fragrance than buttering. It’s good! My bourbon barrel is a few years old and lost a lot of flavor. I’m just gonna use it for a long wild fermentation next year.

Back