Hopback Planning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo brewer

Reaction score
I currently gravity drain from my keggle thru my cfc to the carboy. I am going to build a hopback using a SS canister with latching lid (bed bath & beyound) My fab shop buddy will weld the 1/2" SS couplings to the canister and custom fab a perforated hole false bottom SS plate that will be removable for cleaning.

Questions:
1) Morebeers hopback has the lower coupling on the side of the canister about 1" up from the bottom. Can I weld it on the bottom in the center of the canister for maximum wort flow and equal filtering of the hop bed - or does this matter?
2) What dia holes to drill? What spacing or effective % of openings - I'm guessing 3/32" holes and spacing to obtain 20% openings.
3) should the false bottom be conical or flat? I think conical will provide better hop utilization - or does it matter.
4) I plan to use only leaf hops in the hopback - but will pellet hops work if I lay a SS scrunchie in the bottom first?
5) I currently use a paint strainer for hops in the boil. If I use a hopback, can I eliminate the paint strainer?

I'm currently in the middle of this myself. I actually got that ss canister at Sears, then I was at Target and found something even better (if you can believe that!) :http://www.target.com/Chefmate-Asparagus-Steamer/dp/B000X1R56S/qid=1229543373/ref=br_1_13/183-5164781-6888122?ie=UTF8&node=13002771&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1It's an "asparagus steamer"....almost identical to B3's hopback, but it comes with a drop-in basket. It's $19.99. I was going to put a choreboy copper scrubbie under the basket for coarse and fine filters.

1) Morebeers hopback has the lower coupling on the side of the canister about 1" up from the bottom. Can I weld it on the bottom in the center of the canister for maximum wort flow and equal filtering of the hop bed - or does this matter?That's what I thinking about doing. I guess it really doesn't matter as long as you expose the wort to whole hops and the two get separated on the way out.
2) What dia holes to drill? What spacing or effective % of openings - I'm guessing 3/32" holes and spacing to obtain 20% openings. You could probably do the same as what's on a MLT. Whatever will keep the whole hops back. You might even get away with just using a scrubbie
3) should the false bottom be conical or flat? I think conical will provide better hop utilization - or does it matter. I never thought of that. If it's conical, you might have problems with clogging. I think you want the hops loosely packed for good infusion.
4) I plan to use only leaf hops in the hopback - but will pellet hops work if I lay a SS scrunchie in the bottom first? Pellet hops are really good at clogging things. I wouldn't use more than an ounce.
5) I currently use a paint strainer for hops in the boil. If I use a hopback, can I eliminate the paint strainer? Maybe.....if you did a good whirlpool, had your diptube at the edge of the kettle, and didn't add even more pellets in the hopback. Whole hops seem to make their own filter for the pellet sludge. I bet you could still clog the thing if you're not careful.

Thanx for the feedback SSteve.
More thoughts in Bold...

I'm currently in the middle of this myself. I actually got that ss canister at Sears, then I was at Target and found something even better (if you can believe that!) :Chefmate® Asparagus Steamer : TargetIt's an "asparagus steamer"....almost identical to B3's hopback, but it comes with a drop-in basket. It's $19.99. This doesn't have a clamp for a positive seal for the Keggle head pressure. It also has a steamer hole in the glass that would need to be plugged. I would hate to have any leaks and regret it. I was going to put a choreboy copper scrubbie under the basket for coarse and fine filters.

1) Morebeers hopback has the lower coupling on the side of the canister about 1" up from the bottom. Can I weld it on the bottom in the center of the canister for maximum wort flow and equal filtering of the hop bed - or does this matter?That's what I thinking about doing. I guess it really doesn't matter as long as you expose the wort to whole hops and the two get separated on the way out. Yeah - probably no diff.
2) What dia holes to drill? What spacing or effective % of openings - I'm guessing 3/32" holes and spacing to obtain 20% openings. You could probably do the same as what's on a MLT. Whatever will keep the whole hops back. You might even get away with just using a scrubbie I know, a scrubbie under the false bottom as a back-up.
3) should the false bottom be conical or flat? I think conical will provide better hop utilization - or does it matter. I never thought of that. If it's conical, you might have problems with clogging. I think you want the hops loosely packed for good infusion. An inverted conical shape would not clog - let me think more about this.. maybe a half sphere.
4) I plan to use only leaf hops in the hopback - but will pellet hops work if I lay a SS scrunchie in the bottom first? Pellet hops are really good at clogging things. I wouldn't use more than an ounce. Scrunchie underneath???
5) I currently use a paint strainer for hops in the boil. If I use a hopback, can I eliminate the paint strainer? Maybe.....if you did a good whirlpool, had your diptube at the edge of the kettle, and didn't add even more pellets in the hopback. Whole hops seem to make their own filter for the pellet sludge. I bet you could still clog the thing if you're not careful. [/I
Yeah, I whirlpool like crazy and and my diptube is at the edge. Matbe a combination of leaf and pellet in the kettle and hopback may work I can't get all my favorite hops in leaf. Looks like I have to experiment by making some hoppy beers - Yum.]

I will post pictures after this project is done - maybe 2 weeks.

I know what you mean about not getting all the favorite varieties in leaf!

The hopback morebeer sells doesn't use a clamp......you just match your flow rates...apparently it works fine. I guess I'll just plug the hole with superglue or something.

4) I've heard of even the scrubbies clogging with pellets so you gotta be careful...they're much better suited to whole hops.

Latest posts

Back