hop tincture for dry hop flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmac62

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering if it is possible to use a hop ticture at packaging to get dry hopping type flavor and aroma. Has anyone tried this? Thanks :mug:

No, a vodka/everclear tincture. Just drop some hops into vodka for a couple of weeks and use that to flavor the beer when going into the keg.

You can, and it's exactly that: a tincture, hop tea, steeped hops, hop juice, whatever. I've done this 5-6 times, and I'll tell you that it's never imparted the flavor or aroma I've looked for. I've done this with a limited amount of liquid so as not to dilute the actual beer too much, and I think that part of the obstacle you need to overcome is utilization in a small area.

Is there any reason you don't want to dry hop?

i tend to add tincture to the glass. it's hard to gauge how much to use in a keg, but in a glass you can easily double or triple the amount if it's not enough.

dry hop is the best way for aroma, but for flavor i do indeed like a tincture.

No, a vodka/everclear tincture. Just drop some hops into vodka for a couple of weeks and use that to flavor the beer when going into the keg.

I think thats basically a hop tea. Only difference is one your heating up water and soaking and the other your soaking with alcohol then adding .

Take tea for instance. You can boil up water soak the tea bags or do a cold brew tea bag soak.

Edit: it just donned on me that your probably wanting the flavor without the bitterness. So I can see why your looking at it from that angle.

You can, and it's exactly that: a tincture, hop tea, steeped hops, hop juice, whatever. I've done this 5-6 times, and I'll tell you that it's never imparted the flavor or aroma I've looked for. I've done this with a limited amount of liquid so as not to dilute the actual beer too much, and I think that part of the obstacle you need to overcome is utilization in a small area.

Is there any reason you don't want to dry hop?
Dry hopping just seems such a pain, also an O2 risk when opening the fermenter. I have used keg hopping several times and this seems okay. I just use one of those dry hop cylinders and put it into the keg when transferring. I leave it in there until the keg is empty and haven't had any issues. Thanks for the replies.

I'm curious about using everclear for a hop tincture too. I like the idea in theory.

I've make limoncello by soaking lemon peel in everclear and the extraction is incredible way more than could ever be had from soaking lemon peel in water at any temp and even way more than vodka. So the alcohol content certainly makes a difference for dissolving the oils for lemon peel. Makes a lot of sense that the hop oil could be well exracted that way too.

I'm curious about using everclear for a hop tincture too. I like the idea in theory.

I've make limoncello by soaking lemon peel in everclear and the extraction is incredible way more than could ever be had from soaking lemon peel in water at any temp and even way more than vodka. So the alcohol content certainly makes a difference for dissolving the oils for lemon peel. Makes a lot of sense that the hop oil could be well exracted that way too.
noname, I found a thread that has some really good information, but the guy telling it is kinda crazy (got banned). Anyway, check it out. Experiment - Ethanol humulone extraction

Latest posts

Back