Hop suggestions for Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir-Hops-A-Lot

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have been successful with this recipe for Cream Ale. I am looking for some ideas about a good hop schedule:
5# pale
1#corn
1#rice
1.2#torrified wheat
Mashed 60 mins at 150.
Brittish Ale II (My favourite yeast of all time) or Nottingham
Delicious!
The reason I haven't settled into a hop schedule yet is that I won a bunch of beer kits from the LBS and I have just been throwing the hops in on the schedule of other beer recipes (lagers and cream ales).
The hops I have on hand are: Willamette, Cascade, Hallertauer, Northern Brewer, Magnum, Stryian Goldings, Challenger, Simcoe, Centennial, Liberty

What flavor profiles do you prefer? The pine or the fruit, or the peppery of some hops? I would go with one of the noble hops since this is a lawnmower beer, Hallertauer or Perle come to mind... but this is your beer and to your taste!

Willamette and Styrian Goldings are similar and good for general purpose.

I think hopping at 60, 30, & 0 makes it rounded and flavorful.

I aim for 20-25 IBU for cream ale, but I know that's high fir the style.

Liberty is basically the original hop used for the style. Anchor brewing made the first supposed cream ale. Id go with that or Perle as its very similar

Thanks for your input.
I tried Jamil's hop schedule with Liberty and didn't like it much. Too lemony if that makes sense.
I have been using Hallertauer as a flavour hop in my pilsners and find I prefer Saaz.
I may try Stryian Goldings. I also may just use some Magnum as a 60 min hops and nothing else.

I beseech you to please not do one hop charge at 60 minutes. There really seems to be something to Miller Lite being "triple hopped." Bitterness, flavor, and aroma all come by adding hops at different times. I mean, you can do what you prefer, but I have definitely noticed a difference in beers that rely on balance.

This time I used Pacific Jade at 60 min and 15 min, .5oz each.

I have used Saaz and Cascade in the past as well.

I'm with ericbw here. The only time I only bitter is when I make my honey wheat or jalapeño blonde as I want that flavor to stand prominent.

And I've only used Liberty in my one brewed, but have it to brew again soon again once I get 6-row as I absent mindedly bought pale ale malt.

I also may just use some Magnum as a 60 min hops and nothing else.

I've made a bunch of cream ales all only using a 60 minute addition. I recommend trying it. Seems to me the last thing you want in a cream ale is for it to be "hoppy", but that's my personal preference.

My last couple of batches I added a half pound of acidulated malt to give it a little bite and a pound or so of flaked rye for a hint of rye flavor.

Also I am also big on balance and my cream ales are well received and balanced with the one hop addition.

For five or so gallons
1 oz cascade
#6 2-row
#1 lbs flaked rye
#1 flaked corn
#0.5 acidulated malt
US05 at about 65F for two weeks then cold crash a week.

Back