Hop substitute question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalc6927

Reaction score
I have a recipe for octoberfest and it calls for .5 of hersbrucker hops at 15 and 5 minutes

Was thinking of using Amarillo instead to get a more fruity flavor/aroma,

Any thoughts?

Amarillo is not what I think of when I think October. Hersbrucker is a noble hop that has that clean spicy profile that is typical of the German beers. I think with Amarillo, you may as well just make an IPA. But, it's your beer, so if you do it, report back here how it turns out.

If you want a traditional Oktoberfest with a slight fruity flavor, you should select a year to accomplish that. (Possibly kölsch yeast)
Using amarillo in an oktoberfest would turn more into an amber lager that was kind of like a pale ale...could be great but not an oktoberfest

Good advice, I use a hop substitution chart, it helps especially in the LHBS when they are out. That can be a life saver.

Google it or try captain brew if you are standing there scratching your head saying, they don't have my hop... but I can't get it online in time....

Back