Hop screen and whirlpooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mswebb

Reaction score
I am currently making good use of whirlfloc and whirlpool action in my 1Bbl Stout kettle.

I am considering a hop basket (like those from Arbor Fab) to help keep some of the hop mess from contaminating my plate chiller.

Has anyone been using a filter basket with a whirlpool? I always figured the basket would interfere with the whirlpool even if it were hung centrally in the kettle. If I remove the basket prior to whirlpool, what about the late addition hops? Do I just count on a reduced amount of hop gunk and worry a bit less?

I plan on getting one of these that hangs on the side of my keggle. I pondered the same questions. I think if rather have on on the side opposed to the middle as to not impede on the trub come formation. I use a pump to whirlpool so I figured letting it ride for 20-30 min would still get a decent cone, as long as I pulled the basket out carefully. I plan on doing the whirlpool hops in the basket as well just to keep any possible hop after from clogging my plate chiller

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just got one that hangs on the side of my 17g boil kettle. I placed it just behind the whirlpool input port and it seemed to work fine. The circulation continued below the spider. My plate chiller was much happier and the pellet hops stayed put in the spider.

I built my own using the 5 gal paint strainer bags and it keeps 95% of the gunk out and during a whirlpool I can still work the bag around the wort to get good utilization. When I'm done I pull the bag and squeeze out all the liquid. Two natches in and both have good hoppiness to them while leaving minimal wort in the BK during transfer due to al the gunk that I was getting.

I use a hop spider AND an inline filter before my plate chiller to whirlpool. Works very well, but I don't keep the hop spider in the kettle during whirlpool... If I'm doing a whirlpool hop stand, I'll get the temp to about 180F, do a 20 min stand, and then begin cooling again, as soon as the temp is below 150F (pretty much immediately), I pull the hop spider and continue cooling/whirlpooling.
Whether I'm doing a whirlpool addition or not, I pull the hop spider at 150F.

When I hit 60 min I fire up the immersion chiller and move it around the pot by hand. Would that be considered whirpooling???

Back