Hop Schedules

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hebby5

Reaction score
I know that hops used for 60 minutes give the bittering aspect to beer. Also, the hops used at 15 minutes and less are for flavoring / aroma.

I've seen some recipes have hops boiled for 30 or 20 minutes. What does that do? What kind of attributes to the beer does that kind of hop shedule give?

Playing around with my own recipes and would like to know.

Thanks much.

Chris

I think that they add a combination of some bitterness and some flavour and some aroma. It's all good.

B

I've done 30 min additions before using a blend of the bittering and flavor hops. You'll definitely get alot of IBU from a 30 min add, but I've noticed you get a nice bitter hop flavor as well. I brewed an English style ale using only 60 and 30 min additions of fuggle and noticed a subtle, but very nice fuggle flavor in the beer.

Basically the liturature basically goes like this:

(120) 90-30min: bittering hops
30-15: flavor hops
20-0: armoa hops
Dry hopping: only aroma hops.

It is all about isomerzation of the alpha acids to convert to iso-alpha acids. There are a lot of aroma compounds that are very unstable and boiling them for a long time dissolves and boils them off. The way that I have experimented was that I only use the low AA noble hops and follow tightly to books and style guides to figure out what is going on, then go off and do my own thing and experment and try to figure out which results I like best.

For example with an IPA I did, I used 2oz of low AA bittering hops (60), 1oz of those same AA (20) and I dry hoped with 4oz. I got a beautifully balanced flowery and not awesomely bitter beer. Very drinkable, sort of a long trail head clone, but not really.

I came up with a hop schedule that uses a cooper's OS can as a base with DME & hops to make a different ale out of it. The OS series has a clean bittering only. So I add 1.5lbs of plain DME,1oz hops @ 20mins,.5oz at 10mins,& .5oz @-10 to steep.
After that,I add the remaining 1.5lbs of DME,& the cooper's can to steep for 15mins. Then chill & proceed. It really works well. You probably wouldn't know it's an extract brew,it comes out so good.

Back