Hop Rhizome Pre sale @ Farmhouse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelers77

Vendor
Reaction score
We have started our rhizome pre-sale a little earlier this year.

Remember to just order rhizomes and coir, if you order other items they will be shipped once the rhizomes arrive.

We have 12 varieties available including 2 New Mexican varieties (Limited Quantity) Neo-1 and Amiilla.

Thanks

Yes, please give a little info about the NM varieties. What type of conditions do they prefer? I am in the Northeast and perhaps they would not do well here.

I am not assuming you have a similar type mentioned in this thread, a wild "neo" hop that grows in dry, alkaline conditions around New Mexico.

And "Amilla" I simply could not find any mention on the Intertubes.

... NewMexico types ...
Just whats on the page and that they do better in southern states due to the heat. They are however being grown in some northern states.

Thank you, good to know. It is great that new varieties are offered for a variety of individual climates.

Is it just two new mexico varieties or more? I think a lot of people are wanting the new mexico types. I am considering as well.

Edit: thanks for the quick response.

Just Ordered:

2 Cascade
2 Chinook
2 Magnum
2 Glacier
2 Columbus
2 Nugget

Can't wait to see how they do!

Just whats on the page and that they do better in southern states due to the heat. They are however being grown in some northern states.

My concern is their tolerance to humidity. The southeast is more humid than the southwest, but if they can take the wet heat we get here in SC I want to try growing them

Not a big spender, but one each of Columbus, Chinook, and Glacier ordered. I convinced the wife they will quickly and nicely fill the pergola over the deck along with transplanting my 1 year old Cascade and Centennial.

Oh wait. There is no pergola over the deck yet. I guess I signed up to complete that as soon as the weather breaks.

Not a big spender, but one each of Columbus, Chinook, and Glacier ordered. I convinced the wife they will quickly and nicely fill the pergola over the deck along with transplanting my 1 year old Cascade and Centennial.

Oh wait. There is no pergola over the deck yet. I guess I signed up to complete that as soon as the weather breaks.

I originally was only going to do 1 of each of the varieties I picked out, but I have never grown hops before and don't know how well the rhizomes make it statistically, so I decided to do 2 of each.

I order two of neo1 and 2 of the other new Mexico hop type. April is a long time away, hehe

Any chance of selling the multi head hop rhizome? Its the only one that I need now. (Who doesn't want a peach flavor hop?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers77 View Post

My concern is their tolerance to humidity. The southeast is more humid than the southwest, but if they can take the wet heat we get here in SC I want to try growing them

Matt Rodgers from Hazelwood Hop Farm in Camden, SC is growing Cascade and did a collaboration beer with Conquest. I assume they are doing well if they had enough for a batch of beer. His name on the forum is WatereeBrew
but he hasn't been on for over a year. I'd like to grow some as well but hesitant with the climate we deal with. Look at Charleston for example, we've had snow and ice on the ground the past two days, tomorrow is 60 and then Sunday 70. I'm not sure any rhizomes would survive.

Haven't gotten mine yet, but I can't plant yet due to late snow anyway :-(

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Just got an email last night after I posted this that my Rhizomes were shipped yesterday about 7:45PM!!

My Glacier, Chinook, and Columbus arrived today and are already in the ground now.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397255781.164823.jpg

Mine arrived 2 days ago, in the fridge at the moment. Starting them in 1gal pots because I still have too much frozen ground to put them where I want (live in Maine). I figure I'll be able to transplant them in a week or two.

Wish I saw this a week ago.. I've been scrambling to find Cascade and I was interested in some of the Amillia also! Will anymore be available?

3 inches of snow last night, so much for transplanting them. Oh well, I'll probably have to wait till my semester is over anyway.

That said, I'm not too impressed with the way these rhizomes looked when they arrived, particularly my cascade (which is what I was most excited about lol). I'm giving them all a fair whirl because I paid for them and I didn't expect a 100% success rate anyway, and I've heard hops are particularly amazing in terms of coming back to life.

I'm starting to see some poke throughs! Looks like they're going to do alright.

Back