Hop Particles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerspitnight

Reaction score
We kegged a Belgian Pale Ale on Sunday and we dry hopped the PA with pellets for 10 days. We figured we would have some hop particles floating around in the keg, but I pulled a pint yesterday and there were more than I expected. Will these particles sink with time and join the sticky mass of yeast that often resides on the bottom of the keg? Will the cold help to drop these particles out? Guess we should use a nylon bag to dry hop with in the future, huh!

Yes they will settle. I just kegged two. One I just siphoned. The other I siphoned with a sanitized hop bag over the end of the racking cane. Guess which one had no floaters?

They will fall, and you'll get clear pints, but none taste quite as delicious as those first few with all the hops in 'em!

Yes they will settle. I just kegged two. One I just siphoned. The other I siphoned with a sanitized hop bag over the end of the racking cane. Guess which one had no floaters?

Seems like a trick question!

We just got our hands on a new fermenter that has a spigot at the bottom about 3/4 of an inch off the bottom - it allows us to quickly fill our kegs without having to siphon - and it keeps the trub at the bottom. It has also reduced our keg filling time from 30 or so minutes to 10 minutes! Love it!

Thanks for the info Wolfman and lschiavo:mug:

I love it when the hops hit the lips!

On my IIPA's I dry hop with about 3oz. Tons of hops floating around and a sanitized hop bag and tie wrap on the end of the racking cane prevents any hop particles from getting into my keg. Although I definitely don't mind chewing on a few hop particles, I've clogged my dip tube before and had to blow out my out line before pouring each beer...painful but tastety!

Back