Hop Monster IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bono09

Reaction score
11 lb. 3 oz. Domestic 2 Row
11 Oz. Crystal 15L

3.77 gallons Strike Water 167 degrees
Mash Temp 152
Sparge 5.1 Gallons 170 degrees- 10 minutes
60 Minutes Mash

60 Minute Boil

1lb Corn Sugar @ 60minutes
3 Oz. Magnum @ 60 minutes
½ Oz. Tetnanger @60
Whirlfloc @10 minutes

1 Oz. Centennial @ Knockout
1 Oz. Cascade @ Knockout

Pitch Safale US- 05 @ 77 degrees

Dry Hop
3 Oz. Citra Day 7 of Fermentation. Transfer to secondary

Primary:7 days
Seconday:14 days
Bottle and Condition:2 weeks

Looks simple enough. Why do you pitch your yeast at 77? That seems higher than I normally hear. Are you not worried about off flavors being produced at that temp?

Seems like to much bittering hops!
and low on the late hops, especially if you're going to call this beer "hop monster". dry-hop looks great, tho!

"½ Oz. Tetnanger @60" isn't going to do anything, might as well save those hops.

if you treat the US-05 nicely it should easily get you below 1.017.

"Primary:7 days" - don't count on that. might take more, and might take less.

secondary isn't needed, just dry-hop in primary and save yourself the exposure to oxygen (which isn't good for hoppy beers). there's a raging debate about the need & desirability of using a secondary. i'm firmly in the "not needed" camp.

FYI Midwest Supplies has a recipe for something called "Hop Monster IPA" so you might want to rename lest it cause confusion.

Pitching at the higher temp is just something I have always done. No off flavors thus far. The hops was really just kind of a spur of the moment experiment. My buddy came over with all sorts of hops and I had 1/2 Tetnanger just laying around so I decided to use them. This ended up sitting in a Primary for a month. It is being bottled tomorrow. I will rename as well, thank you for the heads up.

This came out amazing. Everyone that I have given it too does not believe me when I tell them it is a home-brew. All are loving it. Came out very nice. Not to buttery at all. Nice mouth to it and great lasting after taste.

Followed the original recipe accept dry hopping. Read an article about how some of the big name brewers only dry hop for 4 days, so I gave that a shot. Worked perfectly

Back