Hop Help Hurry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmo Peach

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We went on vacation and when I returned my hop bines look bad. The leaves are brown some have holes in them. Two of the bines are from last year I planted 4 but only 2 survied the winter. I found a wild hop plant at my archery club and took some of the root home. I planted this away from the other 2 in a 20 gallon container.(75 liters) it seems in better shape. I put the sprinkler on a timer beacuse I was gone 10 days. The weather got very hot 92F(33c)the tops of the plant look ok. I am new to hop growing any help would be welcome.

Can you post a picture or two? Do you think the plants dried out? Holes sounds more like bugs/pests.

Give them a good watering, but be sure not to overwater. An overwatered plan often looks a like like an underwatered plant.

picts of hops after hot spell

Attachments

• IMG_6866[1].JPG
    IMG_6866[1].JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6864[1].JPG
    IMG_6864[1].JPG
  • IMG_6865[1].JPG
    IMG_6865[1].JPG
I am a reasonably experienced gardener with just a few years experience with growing hops. The holes look like insect damage, but it is not too bad. I get damage from Japanese Beetles on my plants. The yellow color likely points at a nutrient deficiency. This can be due to soil issues or related to over or under watering.

This article mentions house plants, but the general discussion should apply to outdoor plants as well: Solved! What Your Plants’ Yellow Leaves Mean, and How to Fix Them

They look like they are nutrient deficient. You may want to let them continue as is this year and then fertilize over the winter and again in the spring. If you fertilize with the wrong mix you might harm cone development right before harvest.

Budding plant pathologist here,

Definitely agree with CascadeBrewer that the holes are insect damage.

They look like they are nutrient deficient. You may want to let them continue as is this year and then fertilize over the winter and again in the spring. If you fertilize with the wrong mix you might harm cone development right before harvest.

mashpaddled is also correct. This definitely looks like potassium deficiency. Use a slow release and well rounded fertilizer in the area this fall/winter when you do garden cleanup. I'm a big fan of osmocote myself. When you get things ready again in the spring, hit it with another dose of slow release fertilizer.

Back