Hop Extract for Bittering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruhaha

Reaction score
Just bought some Yakima Valley CO2 hop extract designed to be used for the bittering addition. 61.1 AA % from a CTZ based source.

How much influence will this bittering product have on my final beer's taste? I plan to brew a California Commons which uses Northern Brewer hops for all 4 additions. If I use this hop extract to get the initial 20 IBU's of bittering that BeerSmith has me getting from FWH, will this negatively impact my beer's intended taste and flavor? Recipe has 34 IBU's total of which 14 IBU's come collectively from the 3 latter additions.

It is my understanding that most of the hop flavor/aroma from traditional 60 minute hop additions is simply boiled off during the 60 min boil leaving me with the sole benefit of bittering.

I am a bit short of Northern Brewer hops so by using the extract I'll have enough for the latter additions. Will this work?

It will have no noticeable effect on flavor. I've used it in gold-medal pilsners. All of my 60-min additions are extract now, regardless of style.

Yeah, I have been thinking of trying this too as many on HBT seem to be heading in this direction. Reduces vegetal matter and probably the expense of the beer in the long run. Some hops are expensive, and if you cant tell the difference in the real deal and Columbus/CTZ extract, why not?

Thank you for the support. I plan to try it. Appreciate the help.

Back