Hop combination for first ever own recipe (IPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahawk

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm trying to figure out my first ever own recipe for an IPA or double IPA. It's my third all-grain batch. I've previously brewed a Bell's Two Heated clone based on a BeerSmith recipe and I really like it. It seems balanced.

I would like your suggestions on good combinations of the following hops, which I have in my inventory. I'm not really sure if I should do a single hop IPA with one of the aroma hops, use Chinook for bittering along with one aroma hops for aroma, or use Chinook along with multiple aroma hops. I am going to dry hop. From a learning point of view, I am thinking about doing something simple in order to learn what I can expect from a simple hop.

I have about 10-11oz of each of the following hops:

- Chinook
- Citra
- El Dorado
- Equinox (Eukanot)
- Mosaic

Furthermore, I have a couple of oz of the following hops (from the Bell's Two Hearted brew):

- Centennial
- Cascade

Thanks in advance!

Personally I might use something other than Chinook for bittering. I love ridiculously bitter IPAs, but Chinook can just be a little rough and harsh when used early in the boil. I might try using the Centennial to bitter as a FWH and then go with any number of combinations for late in the boil. Mosaic on its own late in the boil is amazing and would give you a great idea of its characteristics if you only used it. I like doing a relatively small 10 minute addition of my aroma/flavor hops and then hit it big at flameout to steep them for 15 minutes.

TL;DR, try using Centennial for bittering and then go all Mosaic at the end. Should be super tasty. I have an all Mosaic pale ale on tap right now that is going fast.

I like the idea out of those hops, of going with the Centennial as well for bittering, but add some citra to the mosaic! i am assuming they are whole leaf? recommend maybe 50% or the mosiac (so .5 oz of citra to 1 oz of mosaic.)

Personally I might use something other than Chinook for bittering. I love ridiculously bitter IPAs, but Chinook can just be a little rough and harsh when used early in the boil. I might try using the Centennial to bitter as a FWH and then go with any number of combinations for late in the boil. Mosaic on its own late in the boil is amazing and would give you a great idea of its characteristics if you only used it. I like doing a relatively small 10 minute addition of my aroma/flavor hops and then hit it big at flameout to steep them for 15 minutes.

TL;DR, try using Centennial for bittering and then go all Mosaic at the end. Should be super tasty. I have an all Mosaic pale ale on tap right now that is going fast.

Thank you for the suggestions. I would definitely like to avoid harshness. I had a 5.6% IPA at a beer tasting the other day which, according to the brewer, was about 104 IBU. It had a harsh unbalanced bitterness that wasn't pleasant. Didn't know Chinook could be too rough. Will check if I have enough Centennial for bittering.

I like the idea out of those hops, of going with the Centennial as well for bittering, but add some citra to the mosaic! i am assuming they are whole leaf? recommend maybe 50% or the mosiac (so .5 oz of citra to 1 oz of mosaic.)

Yeah, they are whole leaf. There was no price difference and I've only brewed with whole leaf so far, so.. Which aroma or flavor contributions should I expect from the Citra and the Mosaic?

I would make the Mosaic shine by using it in the ratio 1:2 1 citra to 2 mosaic.

they are both Fruity, I believe 11-13% AA, or close enough to not matter.

the mosaic is going to be more earthy, or dryer and one sided, not as complex as the citra, but more solid.

the citra is "sweeter" as well as citrousy but not earthy. Also, a little citra goes a long long way.

hopefully by leaving it in a 1:2 you get the solid fruity flavors, but just a little sweeter, hopefully making it more complex without conflicting profiles. i would dry hop with both as well.

now since whole hop, I am not sure on amounts since I normally use pellets. timings would be real late. 5 - 0 minutes. maybe 15-10-5-0 (small amounts like dogfish does it, just a steady flow.)

good luck!

Back