Hop Clipping Swap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBRent

Reaction score
Howdy!

I understand that we can propogate hops with clippings as well as rhizomes and seeds.

I'm planning on trimming my Halertuer (sp) back to three bines this weekend. Would anyone like to swap my extra bines for Cascade or other varieties?

I'll mail you mine and you mail you yours. We can give it a shot.

Let me know.

Thanks!

Brent

You'll have a much greater success rate if you wait until dormancy and take a Rhizome cutting. It's a great idea though so keep at it :)

That's a great idea. It might be worth flagging this up as something for people to do later in the season. I assume after the harvest there'll still be some growing time left before winter, so perhaps that'd be the time to bury the bines and let them take root, or to take off-cuts from the main rhizome.

Actually, given the number of people who grow hops on here, a HBT hop-swap could be huge. Might be a good idea to use this thread to co-ordinate that, as I'm sure people would be up for it.

I am actually already planning to raise my mature cascade this year into a raised bed. At that time I plan on taking rhizomes and trading for some other varieties. I'm just not sure if it's better to do in the fall or in the spring. I need to do more research. Either way, I'll be offering them up when I do it, and I'm sure rhizome swapping will be pretty hot on here over the next year. In the mean time just let those bines grow on a first year plant. You'll thank me later. I really still believe that you can't have too much growth the first year.

I really still believe that you can't have too much growth the first year.

2 of my 8 first year plants and both of my 3 year olds are going to be over 16' by weeks end....4 of 6 first year plants are between 6' 5" and 10', 2 I think are dying

75% of first year plants 6' 5"-15' 6" tall....that's not bad, and I just basically planted them.

On a side note, I'm trying the side arm propagation with Mr. Fuggle now, and I'm all for some rhizome sharing before next season. I think I'm going to have to rethink my strategy for placement and trelis a little bit for next year though, I want 14 plants going for 2009!

If you cut anything without roots right now, I highly doubt it will survive a shipment in the hot trucks. The rhizomes ship well because they're dormant. I think at this point, the best you can do is swap healthy plants in small pots with people that are local. Other than that, let's wait until next Spring and coordinate a huge rhizome swap.

I would take one of the bines you want to cut back and instead of cutting it back, take part of it and bury it in a pot. It should root after maybe a month or so and you can but it from the mother plant and have one that you can trade later.

Back