hop additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjotmo

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew an extract with simcoe and Amarillo. I have 8oz of each. I want a very hoppy beer am I better off with more early or more late. I plan on dry hopping 1oz of each for at least 2 weeks. Any recommendations

Thanks that's what my buddy said. He recommended 1/2 oz centennial at 60 and 30 then go with the Amarillo/simcoe

sounds tasty to me. I personally love amarillo as a flavor hop but the more hop variaties the better (in most cases).:mug:

Agree. Do a small addition at 60, then the rest under 20 minutes. Also, dry hop it with an ounce of each maybe.

Nothing wrong with that. Those are some of my favorite hops for Pale Ale and IPAs. Simcoe is more piny/resiny, where Amarillo and Centennial are more citrusy. You could play with them in all sorts of combinations. If your Centennial is in the neighborhood of 10% AA you'd be around 70 IBU with the 60 and 30 minute additions alone.

Back