Honeydew Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yaeyama

Reaction score
Hi!

After trying my hand at a peach white wine and a mixed berry red wine (both of which are still aging, can't wait!) I have found myself becoming more and more fascinated by mead. To see what all the fuss was about, I purchased a bottle of Lurgashall English Mead over the net and gave it a try. It was fantastic!! I'm in love. :)

I want to make myself a nice mead. But, seeing as how true to honey smell and taste the English Mead was, I think I would like to do something similar. This means, a simple mead, no spices or added fruits! (However, I have heard that without adding certain things like tannin, etc. the taste can be rather insipid. Therefore, I will keep an open mind about this.

Since I am going to be making a simple mead, I think I would be better off with a stronger tasting honey. I was thinking of choosing a darker honey like buckwheat or manuka. Actually my first choice would be something like honeydew -- I'm thinking of perhaps a New Zealand honeydew. [Is this really honeydew ie. produced by aphids? Or is this just a dark honey? The product page doesn't mention anything about aphids :cross: ]

I would prefer a mostly dry but slightly sweet mead, with a fairly high alcohol content (somewhere between 12% and 15%). My plan is to age is for quite a long time (around 4 years). Most of this aging will be done in a 6 gallon carboy (ie. bulk aging). During the aging process, whenever I rack the mead, I am planning on topping up with additional honey water (I figure if I do this enough, the sweetness vs. alcohol will eventually win out over the yeast. Plus, I won't dilute my mead if I use honey water.)

What kind of yeast should I use for this? EC-1118? Or would that strain tend to shoot my alcohol level up to around 20%? Also, how many litres of honey will I need to buy? I can buy 500 g. jars, so ten of them would give me about 5kg (10lb); is this about right? Or will I require more?

How much tannin, yeast nutrient, etc. should I use? Also, is it really necessary to add things like raisins? I would like to keep my mead "pure" if possible, but if the taste is really that insipid with straight honey, then again, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I'm no expert but here are a few opinions on the questions I can answer:

To get 12-15%ABV in six gallons you might need a bit more than 11# of honey, although it all depends on the honey itself. You'll have to just go by the gravity readings I think.

EC-1118 yeast will ferment up to 18% so it will go all the way to dry. to get around that, you can stop fermentation when it reaches the ABV you want, or allow it to ferment to dry then kill off the yeast and backsweeten a bit. Here are the statistics on the lalvin yeasts: http://www.lalvinyeast.com/strains.asp.

Raisins are added for the tannins as I recall, so if you plan on just adding tannins, you shouldn't need them.

This website talks alot about honeydew: http://www.airborne.co.nz/hnydew.htm

For the ammount of nutrient, I always go with whatever the nutrient package says (mine says 1/2tsp per gallon). It may not need that much but i figure a little extra cant hurt. As far as tannin goes I have never used it so I have no idea.

Hope some of that helps.

Back