Honey In Secondary (Per Mosher's Recipe)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenSeaScourge

Reaction score
i'm loosely following the heather ale recipe from mosher's "radical brewing" and he calls for a pound of honey added to secondary. i plan on dissolving the honey in a pint or so of 150F water, adding it to my secondary, and racking the beer on top of it. anyone see a problem with this?

would it help to add yeast nutrient to the honey/water mix to ensure a faster or more complete fermentation?

I not sure what to do about, but here is the issue I had. I did the same thing you are talking about and basically the honey would not mix well with the beer and created a layer of hardened honey/yeast on the bottom of the fermenter. When i bottled the beer, every beer tasted different than the last. Some were super sweet and some were super dry.

Dissolving it in some water is a good idea, makes it easyer to handle and get it all in to the desired container. My Honeybuns Weizen has a pound of honey in it. About 10 mins left of boil I skimmed some wort into a saucepan added the honey and kept it hot untill I was chilling the beer. Then I just poured it back in.

Yeast nutrient I would guess is not mandatory but would probably help, if you have some use it, if you don't then don't go and buy any.

If you were going to add it to the secondary, perhaps you should treat it like priming sugar?

Boil it for 15 minutes or so until it dissolves with a pint of water, let it cool and then add it to the secondary.

I wouldnt boil the honey, if you can avoid it. Boiling will drive off a lot of volitale flavor and arome compounds. I did a beer once with 1lb of honey, added at flamout, and there was no real flavor from the honey.

You could try dissolving it in water that is around 115-120 degrees (what I do when I make mead). Then, you could add that water/honey mix to the carboy and rack the beer ontop of it, that should mix it well. Hopefully that will work out

Yeah if you boil the honey you might as well save your money and use corn sugar.

Latest posts

Back