Honey Beer Clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDave1303

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share this with you all.
I have just bottled my first batch of honey beer. Bit of a cheat recipe as I just used a kilo of honey instead of sugar in with a cooper lager kit.
The SG was a little lower than it should have been (1.032) as I over added the water at the start (approx 25 litres instead of the 23 in the instructions). Finished off with 44 x 500ml bottles = 22 Litres. 3 litres lost due to dumping trub from the conical. Resulting in an ABV of 4%

Have included screenshot of fermentation progress.
Fermented for 7 days at 20c.
Dumped first lot of trub from GF conical & started the Diacetyl Rest- Raise temp by 5c over next few days (1c per day) up to 25c
Then started lowering temp over the next 5 days down to 11c-12c to clear the beer.

Dumped 2nd lot of trub from conical & started bottling.
I usually bottle in brown bottles but as I have a few clear bottles I thought I would do a little experiment & use the clear bottles for the start, middle & end of the bottling stage.

Photos of bottles (left to right)
1) First drawing from bottling tap on the GF conical valve- Beer from bottom of the brew shows where beer has not fully settled out (still not too bad tho)
2) Middle bottle still cloudy but slightly clearer than the first.
3) Last out. This beer would have been at the top of the fermenter & is very clear.

I will let these condition over the next 2-3 weeks at room temp (approx 21c) then put in the fridge ready for drinking.
I want to compare the 3 bottles to see how /if they differ in taste - i.e. Bottle 3 should have less sediment that the others but is there enough yeast left in suspension for carbonation.

It's a tough job but someone has to do it :)

Honey Beer 123 Clarity.JPG
Honey Beer fermentation chart 1.jpg

Last edited:
Back