Honey Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaMarine

Reaction score
I'm thinking about brewing some of Midwest Supplies' Honey Amber Ale for the first time. I've read a few confusing things about honey brews on the internet. If I brew this kit by the instructions how much of the honey flavor comes through?
I've read a couple of people used some other honey instead of the clover honey that comes in the kit. How does this change the flavor?
The recipe calls for adding the honey during the boil but then some have said this gets rid of a lot of flavor and aroma. Is it better to add honey when bottling? Will adding honey when bottling give it too much flavor?
A bunch of the reviews say the kit needed more hops to balance things out. Do I need to add more hops then what the recipe calls for?
I know this recipe takes time to mature but I thought I'd brew it mid-July, bottle it in October and drink it around Thanksgiving.
I generally drink bocks and stouts but my girlfriend liked Michelob Honey Lager and I'm trying to make something she would like. Any advice would be helpful.

I only use honey to bottle with. Its subtle and upfront, probably the first thing you will smell when you pop open the bottle. Everyone's palette is different so its difficult if its too strong. I have completely cut honey malt out of my grain bill on my honey ale because the priming with honey gives me the amount I am after.

It will also depend on the quality and type of honey you get. I think orange blossom is the best, and I wouldn't recommend clover, I found it very weak. Try and see. If you like sweeter beers, try bottling, if you like the dryness you get from the boil...try both!

I found a honey suppler near Atlanta from a link on another thread here so I'll be able to use better honey. I'll try bottling with it first and see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back