Homegrown/Homemalted Wheat grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strahmhv

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a farmer here in southern california and I set aside some of my wheat crop to malt for brewing.

I've been experimenting with temperatures in kilning and had a question...

When i kilned at a low temp (under 170 F) my malt smells exactly like dirty socks, or feet. I'm thinking it slowly rotted or bacteria grew before it dried out and carmelized. Anyone know if it's useable?

I would say NOT. If it does not smell good then it will not taste good. Did you malt it first?

Yep. I thnk i was a little quick on the kilning tho. the grain had only just started sprouting. I think your supposed to wait till the sprout is the same size as the grain.

I have plenty more though. I'll keep trying and let you all know what happens.

btw, the smelly sock malt has been brewed and is currently fermenting. <cross fingers>

if and when you nail this one down, I'd sure like to see a brake down of your process and equipment. I live in the middle of dry land wheat country here in Colorado, and would be able to brew for nearly nothing on what we grow.

Doesn't some kind of 'acid' producing fungus grow in moist wheat grain? A failure in malting may not automatically be complete. :D

Saturday I was helping with a Brew Class at MBC, and I asked about local wheat and they had two ancient grain trailers filled with red. They use it unmalted.

I really think wheat beers suck, but I DO love the taste of wheat, and I'm curious about what ways people use it raw, outside of wheat recipes. Wheat is $6 a bushel and FRESH local wheat tastes WAY better than what you can buy commercially sacked.

Will do BigKahuna, I've also got some barley being shipped in from my uncle out in colorado. He grows for Coors. I'll do some experimenting with that as well.

The verdict is in!

I opened my fermenter this morning, and just about threw up... it smelled horribly and had the consistency of slime or snot.

Lesson learned - Don't waste time with malt that already smells bad.

I'll keep experimenting with malting, but in the mean-time i gathered the grain bills for a couple brews from the LBHS.

Latest posts

Back