Homebrewing for full-time RVs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyotebrewer

Reaction score
My wife and I are considering going full-time in the RV. I'm wondering if anyone has noticed a homebrew club for full-timers. It's a great hobby for traveling in an RV. The key is staying in one place for two weeks at a time in order to get the primary fermentation out of the way.
Let me know!!

Why do you need to be in one place for 2 weeks? You can/should primary longer, and a little agitation will rouse the yeast and get better attenuation. The only issue might be temperature control, but that could be managed.

My wife and I are considering the same thing when I retire from the Corps (30 years in 6 more years). She is going to be a traveling Nurse and we will hopefully live in different areas for a couple months at a time. I told her we will need a trailer behind the RV for my motorcycle and brew gear, plus room in the RV for a 3 tap kegerator. I may "settle" for a 2 tap :ban:

Reminds me of this scene from "James May (of British Top Gear fame) Drinks to Britain."

Just don't throw your wife's stuff out to make room for the gear.)

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I are considering going full-time in the RV. I'm wondering if anyone has noticed a homebrew club for full-timers. It's a great hobby for traveling in an RV. The key is staying in one place for two weeks at a time in order to get the primary fermentation out of the way.
Let me know!!

I am a full time RV'er as well and looking to brewing my own beer. Do I need to be in one spot for two weeks to do this? What is the best kit to purchase to do this?

Why do you need to be in one place for 2 weeks? You can/should primary longer, and a little agitation will rouse the yeast and get better attenuation. The only issue might be temperature control, but that could be managed.

Agreed. You don't need to be in one spot after brew day to do this. Just find a good place in the RV where the temp doesnt fluctuate. A little sloshing isnt going to hurt anything.

I'd also stay away from smelly yeasts such as White labs German Ale / Kolsch in such a compact space... or find a way to vent without losing temp. 2 - 3 weeks of Kong Farts in your RV could turn you off to the whole hobby.

I tried to find a list of yeasts that release the sulfer/rotten egg smell and can't find one.

Get yourself a yeast filter and slosh away! Space is a premium so quick aging beers are probably on the menu. Grain storage and disposal may be a little tricky so extract may also be on the menu.

You guys should start a 'Sturgis' style event somewhere, so all homebrewing RV'ers can motor in and party for a few days, drinking homebrew.

If you do, just do it up in western washington or oregon so i can go. seriously.

The smell shouldn't be a problem. I have a class A motorhome and thought I would just put it in the basement. So, do you think something like a Mr. Beer kit would be o.k. for a first timer?

Back