homebrewing a kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aa8jzdial

Reaction score
We have need for a large kettle. 40+ gallons. 4 of us brew at once.
One of the guys has obtained a 20" daimeter stainless pipe, 36" tall with 3/16" wall thickness.
Both ends are open. I have located a 20" diameter x 3/16" ss plate for the bottom. $100
My understanding of stainless steel is it is a very poor conductor of heat.
Too thick and the heat from the flame will not penetrate efficiently. Just roll past the bottom of kettle and heat the brew house.
Too thin and scorching could become an issue or at least lack of strength to support 300+# of wort.
Should we hold off and locate something a bit thinner, say 1/8".
Any one out there with some thermal engineering experience?
Williams Brewing is offering a 18 gauge 55 gallon kettle for about $600.
Probably a good deal but one reason I homebrew is I am cheap.
tnx
rick
w mi

lol! @ 40 gallons a pop, you'd only get to make 5 batches a year where i live! :(

seriously tho, i wouldn't trust the weld...may leak, or make brew nasty.

Go with the welds! Have them done by someone who knows what they are doing.

I would use a steam system for that boss hog! Heating with a burner sounds highly inefficient to me. Look up Yuri's steam design and DIY something with enough capacity for your massive system.

pics please :)

One of the brewer buddies is a pipe fitter. Cerified to weld in Nuke plants.
Weld quality is not an issue.
Pictures will come along as the kettle proceeds.
Done some steam work but seems overly complicated.
We have learned to keep things simple and not get too carried away with "neat" stuff as applealing as it sometimes is.
r

You really need to be very carefull with steam too because of the high pressures involved. I would be very sure of what I was doing if I were going to use steam.

Back