Homebrew store owners that have their dogs hanging out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm cool with a dog in a shop. Now cats I would have a problem with.....leave an unattended grain bin open, and you might get more than grain with your order.

This requires an experiment. I shall fill my cat's litter box with some old grain to see what they do.

This requires an experiment. I shall fill my cat's litter box with some old grain to see what they do.

There was a post a while ago called " A crappy situation" (I think).
The op milled his grain the night before, but forgot to cover the bucket. The next day during mash in he got a big surprise.

I get my supplies from an all original family run hardware store that opened in 1905. They weigh the grain on the original scale, and still use the original cash register. My point is the place has 110 years of clutter and dust. They also have a shop dog. To me it adds to the experience of shopping for my brew supplies. All ingredients are boiled and all equipment cleaned/ sanitized, so what's the big deal?

Since this got kicked back up, dogs in brew shops don't bug me. They're not allowed in the shops around here any longer because they could eat something that could kill them, like hops. At least that's why we were told to leave our dogs home.

One of my 2 homebrew stores I go to has a store cat. She plays with old yeast pouches, they're on the floor throughout the lobby area. If you don't pick them up, you're a regular. There are no open grain bins anywhere. I'm more of a dog person, but she doesn't bother me at all. Besides, how could she, they always have a few very good homebrews on tap.

It would be an instant turn off for me and I'd never go back. Not for sanitation concerns, but for anxiety. I'm a two time dog attack survivor and I get really messed up around dogs, especially when surprised. So for me that would be any store, period. Fortunately I haven' had it happen often yet.

Latest posts

Back